Thursday, July 16, 2020

“Remoted” – Workday 90 /Day 122 (Thursday)



There have been many things to enjoy about all the quality time spent at home the past several months, and one of them has been cooking, which is much less stressful without the unpredictable commute time and accompanying road rage. The air was crisp again today, but the heat is due to return Saturday and hang around for five days in the 90s. This information made this evening the most reasonable choice to roast some of the broccoli and the giant beet that came in this week’s produce box.

Roasted beets with overdone,
tar-like balsamic reduction
and summer vegetables.
To go with the roasted veggies, I decided to do a balsamic reduction I read about earlier this week, except I was too lazy to look it up again, so I just winged it and poured some balsamic vinegar and some honey into a pan and put it on a low flame while the beet and broccoli roasted. The problem came when I started goofing around on the computer and when I remembered the task at hand was actually cooking, the stuff had been boiling for an unknown time. It was sticky and thick like tar and the whisk even got stuck in it. It wasn’t quite right, and was too thick to pour, but I somehow got it onto the beets and ate it anyway. It wasn’t the worse thing I’ve ever had, but it really stuck to my teeth. The next time, I’ll have to check the directions.

It is nice to feel content spending time at home, as this was not always the case. Once upon a time and many life chapters ago, I would pace like a caged lion when at home for an extended time, which generally meant more than five waking daylight hours and more than one night in a week. Now, I haven’t been out of the house after dark except to stand in the yard with the dogs for 122 nights, and have ventured beyond my yard only a dozen times. It's all good.

There is something to be said for old age/"maturity" and basically giving up on life. It’s not as horrible in the pit as I feared.

No comments:

Post a Comment