Tuesday, July 28, 2020

“Remoted” – Workday 98 /Day 134 (Tuesday)



There wasn’t much predictable about today. There were surprises and shit from the get-go. Even before the official start of work, there was word of a routine task with a new twist. Logging into the system revealed a meeting invitation lurking in the inbox for a newer project that seemed to be on autopilot and is now a bit derailed. None of it was awful or especially stressful, it just felt like a steady stream of nuances and shifts.

Lobster ravioli with
cream and pesto sauce.
After work, inspiration struck for dinner upon finding a forgotten bag of lobster ravioli in the freezer. With basil picked fresh from the deck planter, a pesto and cream sauce with sautéed onion and mushrooms was prepared with diced heirloom tomato tossed in at the finish. It may have been the best unplanned meal in a while.

There was a sink full of dishes dating back to Sunday, because my pendulum swings between total slacker and OCD housekeeper and lately it is lodged in slacker mode. After dealing with that and shortly after 6:00, I noticed the Facebook reminder that Punk Rock Aerobics was starting. I dashed to the living room where there is more room to move around. Ok, it was more like a waddle, having just eaten a big bowl of lobster ravioli with pesto cream sauce.

I’ve been meaning to do this class for weeks but one week I had a board meeting, and every other week I either forgot or was just too lazy. Tonight would be my triumphant moment to pogo my way to fitness, just like in the good old days. Or have a heart attack from not working out for the past six months. I missed the opening stretching due to the timing of seeing the alert and logging into the living room laptop.

I lasted one song. I was doing a step kick maneuver to the left and noticed the puddle. One of the dogs, but it was probably Moose, had peed on the futon. Thank goodness for the removable, washable couch cover. Punk Rock Aerobics was abandoned in favor of playing the "who did this?" game and stripping the couch cover to wash it. Maybe next week will work out for the Punk Rock Aerobics.

Being the suspect in a string
of domestic crimes is tiring.
While the unplanned load of laundry was underway, I remembered the undone watering. The watering can and the big jug were filled. While juggling those and trying to fight my way out the door with the sticky latch that leads to the deck, a funky stench hung in the stillness of the hot and humid enclosed porch. That’s when I saw the dog poo on the rug in the enclosed porch. Which I had also already stepped in. The finger of blame was pointing at Moose again.

That meant a poo pickup operation before the next exciting phase of the day – mowing the jungle lawn. Again, a routine task. But with a twist. The lawn mower ran out of gas 80% of the way through. The gas can in the shed had what seemed like 10 drops of gas in it, which was just enough to finish the job.

Did I mention this day had some surprises?

No comments:

Post a Comment