Saturday, July 25, 2020

“Remoted” – Day 131 (Saturday)


It was hair salon appointment day. The appointment had been rescheduled several times, mostly because I just wasn’t ready to go, and working from home and rarely seeing anyone in person meant I haven’t cared what my hair looked like. Or much else.

For a week, I planned to change today’s appointment, but kept forgetting to call, and suddenly it was late Friday. It would have been rude to cancel on such short notice for no good reason, so the decision was made to go. It’s probably long past the time to start getting out of the house more before I become such a recluse I never leave.

Fresh and fancy hair.
Even though there are terrific salons in Lowell, I go to Worcester. It’s worth the trip to me because it’s my friend’s salon and the service is great. I lived in Worcester twice, so it’s not like it’s unfamiliar territory. The first time was near Lake Quinsigamond, after a divorce. The second time was near Elm Park, after a huge breakup. Wormtown was where I went to lick my wounds and heal. The city has always felt like home, and the plan upon returning from Tennessee was to find a job and place to live to Worcester. That’s not quite how it worked out. Going to the hair salon and occasionally out with friends who live there is the extent of my Worcester activity.  

Today helped shake up what has become a tiny life. It was the second day in a row of visiting the closet, once the daily hub of work and socializing outfits and largely neglected since mid-March. The treasure trove of summer pants and capris had been forgotten since being hung there a couple months ago. It felt fancy dressing nicer two days in a row – Friday for the dentist, and today for the hair salon. My hair is now professionally blown out and styled and it’s the best I’ve looked on a Saturday night sitting home alone and watching TV since the last hair appointment in March, right before the stay at home order happened. There was an event I could have attended tonight, but I'm peopled out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment