Saturday, March 30, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,474 – (Saturday) – treasures

The weather edged a bit closer to spring today with temperatures in the mid-50s and the sun was out all day. Sunglasses were required, and I left the house wearing a jacket, but boldly went into a store without it and then was cold, so that didn’t work quite like I imagined. At least the coat was in the car for the later stops.

Adding up the various receipts at home revealed that I had basically saved a fortune in the course of a couple hours. Of course, the stores were all low-budget to begin with – St Vincent de Paul Thrift Store, Kohl’s, and Market Basket.

St. Vincent had some surprises found, and I love the newly self-imposed challenge of only shopping the half-off and 99-cent tickets. The treasures found included a small rectangular mirror for about 60 cents, a tiny purple colander for $1.50, and some glassware items, a chambray summer shirt ($2.50), a pullover hoodie ($3), a summer dress (99 cents), and my favorite item, a tee shirt reading “Love Kills” with a picture of Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen on it (99 cents). The cashier had to undress a mannequin for the tee shirt and seemed surprised I wanted it. I was kind of surprised that I suddenly wanted it so much, too, and it may have been the low, low price that activated the desire. 

Some of the day's treasures.

The trip to Kohl’s was specifically for the Amazon return of the not quite correct color curtains and the cat self-groomer brushes that didn’t sit right on the wall corners or table legs. Because I was there and the store was tidy and not crowded, I had to look at the clearance stuff, and extra bonus, I had a 30% off coupon. This is why I choose Kohl’s for the returns instead of any of the other options.

The top winners at Kohl’s were Madden Girl penny loafers ($30) to round out the loafer collection that includes brown, navy, and pink, and a black sequin long-ish jacket ($25) to expand the sequin clothing collection because I’m pretty sure there is no such thing as too many sequins in the closet. The shoes and jacket looked great with the jeans I was wearing, and will probably be killer with the Sid and Nancy tee if I can ever find someplace to wear the getup.

Market Basket was relatively calm, and there were lots of things prepared food items on crazy markdowns. I grabbed a pre-made Greek salad for $1.75, a large meatball sub for $1.99, and a pound of unfamiliar orange cheese ends for $2, a low investment for a cheesy experiment.

All in all, it was a great day of sunshine and treasure shopping. Even though I say I hate shopping, now that I’m of the age and life stage where I’m mostly invisible, random strangers don’t start pouring their hearts out to me as often as they used to, and it was quite pleasant in all three stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment