Wednesday, March 20, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,464 – (Wednesday) – action packed

This day, like many in the past month, has focused on Kiki. It's nice. This morning began with the usual displays of affection – the head rubs, the cheek rubs, Keeks relaxing under the dining room table. By the time I was dressed for work, Kiki was behind the couch and I still needed to give her the first dose of the roundworm medicine picked up Monday night.

The delays in medicating included my not wanting to disturb her evening peace and be the bad guy (Monday and Tuesday) and missing the window of time where she isn’t hidden away (Tuesday morning). It doesn’t help that even when she isn't behind the couch, she is always at least an arm’s length away, never closer. She is an excellent judge of distance.

Site of the standoff.
This morning it was time to get the medication done, whatever it took. Past the time, really. The couch was pulled out from the wall and Kiki ran. There was a chase through the dining room, the kitchen, up the stairs, down the stairs. There was a standoff with each of us at opposing ends of the dining room table. She ran back into the living room and cleverly hid inside her tunnel. I tried catching her in a blanket but I wasn’t able to get close enough to her. 

There was much loud meowing that sounded like a very dramatic opera. She sat under the kitchen table yowling her song of torment and woe, and I wondered when the neighbors might come knocking on the door to see if someone was being ax-murdered.

I finally got my chance when Kiki climbed into her litter box cabinet and I was able to grab her and hold her down. I don’t think she knew there are doors. During the meowing, I caught another break and was able to slip the tube into her mouth and quickly press the plunger. And then it was over. Sort of. 

The meowing stopped, but she wouldn’t come out of the litter box. I was able to pick her up (first time!) and lift her out of the box. As soon as I set her down on the rug, she ran right back into the cabinet by the entry hole on the side and plunked herself back into the box like a bird on a nest. I conceded defeat and left for work, knowing we would need to repeat the ordeal again in two weeks for the final dose.

When I returned from work, Kiki was on her favorite chair and let me close enough to pet her with my outstretched arm. Perhaps I’ve been forgiven for the morning's ordeal. I wonder how long she stayed in her litter box cabinet. As I dined on the couch, she slipped off the chair and quietly stepped behind it, where she stayed for the next several hours.

Two Amazon deliveries arrived around 8:00. One was a set of two self-grooming brushes that can be attached to a wall corner or table or chair leg. That is the delivery that was delayed by a day. I might have weird woodwork and corners because they don’t set on the doorframes or corner edges at all. The table legs are too thick and round, and the chair legs too narrow.

The other package was the scratching post which required the light assembly I’m becoming quite adept at. The collection of allen wrenches from a decade of assemble it yourself furniture continues to grow.

Today's light
assembly project.
The scratch post features a plush beige base, sisal rope post with plush accents, and two plush balls for smacking around. There were several color options available, and the beige was chosen to coordinate with the household décor but I probably should have tried to coordinate with the color of the cat hair and gotten the navy blue base instead. 

The scratch post included a self-grooming brush that wasn’t mentioned in the description or shown in the product photo (bonus!). It seems I didn’t need the second item ordered after all.

The scratch post now sits in the living room, awaiting Kiki’s attention. Kiki still sits behind the chair. I’m on the couch, watching yet another foreign crime drama (The Snow Girl) and waiting for Keeks to venture out. She really isn’t the adventurous type. Not right now anyway. Not yet. Maybe someday. As long as she stops clawing the furniture, I'll be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment