Friday, March 8, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,452 – (Friday) – meowy day

The Humane Society recommended a vet visit within 10 days of adoption. Kiki had a vet visit in November and is current on her shots, but it still seemed like a good idea. I found a vet near me with great hours – open seven days a week, and until 8:00 during the week, and tonight at 6:30 was Kiki’s visit.

The purple carrier with black mesh panels has been sitting with one end open since the first day Kiki came here. I put treats in there daily, against the furthest wall, and they disappear daily, so part of her has gone in there regularly, at least long enough and far enough to grab treats.

Tonight, the carrier was moved to the center of the floor. It was carried around while I tried to trick Kiki into it. Up the stairs. Down the stairs. To the dining room, the kitchen, the living room. She went to her favorite space behind the couch. She hid in the tunnel toy that Cousin Maddie the thoughtful and beautiful beagle sent her in a gift box loaded with toys. She ran to the kitchen, hid under the table, ran to the office and gracefully flew through the air up onto my desk. I had no idea she had all that stunt in her. Amazing! 

Catch me. I dare you.
Kiki deftly evaded my every move for a good ten minutes. We zigged, we zagged, she escaped. Sometimes it seemed like she was taunting me with her stare. The whole time, she meowed like she was being axe-murdered, so when she hid she was also broadcasting her location. An accidental signal or more "come and get me haha"? only Kiki knows.

Then she ran into the bathroom, which is the only room on the first floor with a door. I made my move and shut the door, trapping us in the small room. We ran from one side to the other, and Kiki finally ended up backed into the corner by her food bowl. Somehow, I got her into the carrier. Maybe she gave up to humor me. The meowing continued and I felt like the meanest pet Mom in the galaxy. I was also tired from all the sprinting and begging.

She meowed her outrage the entire way to the vet, as we entered the building, while we sat briefly in the waiting room, and when we got to the exam room. Once in the exam room, there was a wait and I could reach in and stroke her head and cheeks and she was quiet. 

The vet and the tech were great. I learned the capture the cat in a towel trick and the wrap her in a towel like a burrito to hold her trick. She let the tech hold her and seemed ok. They drew blood for analysis, but couldn’t get any urine. They said she is very anxious and made a note in her file for a sedative for future visits. I was given kits to collect urine and stool and will need to play scientist and drop off samples.

The ride home was another musical journey with a call and response meowing contest. Kiki meowed and I tried to match it. Back at the house, Keeks ran out of the carrier, meowing. She calmed down in familiar surroundings and hid behind the living room chair. She let me hang over the chair and stroke her head, so that is promising. Maybe she doesn’t 100% hate me. Maybe more like 75% right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment