Wednesday, March 13, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,457 – (Wednesday) – almost affection

The sun was out today, and that wasn’t even the best part of the day. The day’s highlight came early, before the sun was up.

Since the terrible betrayal of Friday night when Kiki was tricked into the carrier and spirited off to the vet, where according to said animal professionals, she SCREAMED the entire time of the blood draw, she has been even more aloof. She spends her time behind the couch, seated between the wall and the plastic deflector on the heat vent that guides the warm air under the couch and into the room.

This morning, after arising in the dark, I headed downstairs to make the coffee and do the things. Kiki was under the dining room table. She let out a little meow and let me reach for her to pat her head. There was a minute of the morning ritual where I reach for her, she backs away a bit, then leans her head towards me, and I do whatever gymnastics are needed to pat her head.

Pet me. But from afar.
My next stop was the kitchen to start the coffee. When I turned around, Kiki had come into the kitchen and was standing just a few feet away. She didn’t turn and flee, instead, she slowly approached. And she let me pat her head. It was a miracle. Best morning ever.

Then she returned to her fortress among the chair legs under the dining room table. By the time I left for the office-office, she was back behind the couch, safe from view. When I returned for the day, she was on the living room chair, but fled for behind the couch when I entered the room. She stayed there for the next several hours, while I cherished the memory of the morning’s progress and almost-affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment