Friday, March 29, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,473 – (Friday) – still marching

March is nearly over and there is no sign of it going “out like a lamb.” Instead of docile weather, the wind continues to roar like an unrelenting pride of lions. The calendar might say spring, but the weather is still saying, “Hold your danged horses.”

It was another raw, gray day with drizzle and rain. Despite the gloom and drear, after parking in the garage, I took a right out of the stairwell for the longer route to the office. Steady drizzle be damned. I wanted to check the hours of the optical shop so I could go there later in the afternoon.

After several hours of frustration and annoyances involving new projects, old projects, and projects yet to come, I went outside for what I call “angry walking” where I stomp around downtown in a huff. The pace on Merrimack Street was improved by the wind, which was strong enough to blow the heavy tote bag off my shoulder and flip the hood of my coat onto my head. 

The bad news at the optical shop was that no, they can’t replace the broken arm on the beloved eyeglasses I stepped on months ago. I had alredy tried to buy the frames again, but they are no longer sold in the light blue color I had.

How soon is soon?
The person I spoke to in the shop said they don’t get arms or can’t get arms or something. Bottom line, they can’t help. My best bet now is to dismember a pair of old glasses and do some Dr. Frankenstein action. Or give up on the glasses that I really like. 

The cold and wind made me walk more quickly during my brief time outside, so there was definitely a fitness benefit in addition to some quick  sightseeing. 

A sign declaring “Tijuana Grill Coming Soon” occupied the window of a space which has been filled with restaurant furniture and looking on the verge of something happening for about two years now. Hopefully, "soon" will actually be soon, but without the benchmarking promise of a date, it's anyone's guess. Another previously empty space nearby featured a fun mix of vintage and upcycled clothing, jewelry, and accessories. A designer sat at a sewing machine stitching new creations.

Wind rippling the water.
Closer to the office, the fountain outside the bank, which is still shut off for winter, held rain water which the wind blasted in tiny ripples.  It was a relief to be back inside the office where it was warmer, dryer, and wind-free. 

The sun came out late in the day, and the sky got blue-pink and the clouds were tinged with color. It was pretty. I saw some of the muted color but based on photos friends posted on Facebook, I missed the best of it. Maybe another evening. And maybe winter will loosen it's chilly grip and let spring have a turn. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment