Monday, March 18, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,462 – (Monday) – forks and food

Surprise, two forks left.
The morning light in the back yard revealed green shoots coming up by the lilac. Nearby, the light also glimmered off the protective devices optimistically (foolishly?) planted around the Columbine last year in a likely misguided and futile attempt to prevent the groundhogs or bunnies or whatever backyard connoisseur from eating the blossoms. 

These remaining specialty devices peeking out from the dead leaves never raked up last fall are more commonly known as plastic forks, and I was surprised to see that I still had two forks left in my garden. Surprise! I really thought I had zero forks left. None. Not a one. But whaddaya know, I somehow still have two.

There were results reported from the pee and poo samples delivered to the vet on Saturday. I hope she won’t be embarrassed or horrified or permanently scarred by the caretaker betrayal and public outing, but sweet Kiki has roundworm. There was a trip to the vet after work to pick up the prescription. That was the easy part.

Doses. Ugh.
The hard part still looms. Next, I need to wrangle the cat who barely lets me touch her, somehow get her mouth open, and plunge the contents of a prefilled syringe of some yellowish creamy paste substance down her throat. On the bright side, if she’s meowing like she did at the vet, I might stand a chance. 

And then, we get to do it again in two weeks for the second treatment. Hopefully by then, Keeks will have forgotten about it.

The other option was wrangling her into the carrier to go to the vet, paying for an office visit, and having a tech administer the dosage. The only available time slot would require leaving work early on Tuesday and the stress of the carrier wrangling and arriving there on time. I chose the home-dose trauma.

I wish Kiki was as easy to appease with food as Moose and Winston were because I would buy her affection with all the treats and delicacies, and tonight they would be doused in the medical goop. Alas, she gives zero forks about being hand-fed treats or food. Despite noting the continued reduction of the food volume in the bowl and the disappearance of treats planted in strategic locations including the carrier and the scratch boards she still won't use instead of the chair and ottoman, I’ve still not seen her eat.

Food fortification.
At least I’m fortified by some good food. Today’s inspired pre-battle meal was plant-based meat crumbles sauteed with onion, broccoli, mushroom, and celery then tossed with brown rice, queso, and a dollop of salsa. So yummy. There is some left for tomorrow. And I have nearly psyched myself up to move in for the dosing of Kiki.


No comments:

Post a Comment