Tuesday, July 18, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,218 – (Tuesday) – machine love

Day three as a member at the gym, and day three of attendance. Gold star for me!

It’s the place that claims to be a “Judgement Free Zone.” Unfortunately, when there is nobody to talk to and too much time to look around while riding the recumbent bike, I was slipping fast and far down the judgement rabbit hole.

On Sunday when I was there, another member came in and told the desk clerk she liked the new white ceilings (which she said used to be black) and how bright and fresh it feels in there. This is true. And just like when I was a member there several years ago, the massive ceiling fans really stir the air and I was cold and the music was too loud.

For a place running social media ads proclaiming in all caps, “ALL NEW UPGRADES!” beyond the fresh ceiling, there is still some shabby stuff on the premises. While doing a 30-minute hill ride on a bike with the strap missing on the left pedal, there was time to look around. One of the observations was that all but one of the recumbents are missing the strap on one pedal. Some of the buttons for settings are temperamental. There have been unsuccessful battles with two not-so-fresh treadmills.

Apparently, the workout equipment was not part of the all new upgrades, I thought in a super judgey tone. Maybe the 200 TVs are supposed to provide a distraction from looking around too much. There are so many screens it’s a bit overwhelming. 

Before the impromptu bike examination, I was in the circuit training room where the entire point is to move from one gently beat-up looking machine to the next and get a full-body workout in 30 minutes. Three of us were trying to move through the circuit as it is designed. Unfortunately, the abs machine had one dude on it who was cranking out endless reps when I arrived and he was still on it when I left. The hamstring machine had a guy standing in the way of it as he chatted with abs dude. A neighboring machine had a guy sitting on it and staring at the ceiling. There was a lot of judgement happening in my head.

Machine love.
At least the massage equipment looks brand new. Sunday and Monday the massage chairs were enjoyed. Today, I fell in love all over again with the hydro massage bed and the allotted ten minutes of bliss. It already feels like I got my membership money’s worth just in machine delivered massages. 

So far, the self-designed reward system of the massage equipment after working out is working out well as a motivating factor and might be a sustainable long-term plan. Also, I might be a genius of self-trickery.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment