Friday, April 28, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,137 – (Friday) – Aperol after all

It was a vacation day and we know what that usually means for me … life maintenance day! 

After coffee, the morning featured a trek to Fitchburg for Winston’s diabetic supplies. There were a couple side quests for items to fill out a raffle basket for a fundraising  event on Saturday, check my favorite consignment shop for whatever might be found (there was nothing for me today), and the gas station for the budget friendly pricing. The crown jewel of the journey was a stop at Kappy’s Liquors for a bottle of Aperol.

Ever since returning from vacation, there have been frequent pangs of regret over not buying Aperol at the duty free shop at the airport in Rome. It was in my hand while I considered the logistics for getting to my car. There would be the carryon bag, the purse, and the checked bag, plus the additional Aperol package, while maneuvering from baggage claim to the express shuttle bus. At the end of the bus ride in Woburn, it would be a schlepp to the car. I had managed the baggage to the airport, but the extra liquor parcel on the return could be the straw that broke the back. Or more likely, that was fumbled and smashed on the ground. I returned the Aperol to the shelf. If only I were that good at talking myself out of pounding down a big bag of M&Ms or a pan of brownies or a bag of chips.

Upon arrival home, as I sat on the couch, I thought how nice it would be to have an Aperol Spritz, which I had enjoyed nearly every day on the trip. The thought has repeated many times over the past month. 

Event wardrobe contenders.
After the errands, there was the most glamorous of pet parenting tasks – the yard poop harvest. Then it was time to get dressed for tonight’s fundraiser for the Brush Art Gallery and Studios. Clothes were laid out on the bed. The contenders were black pants, red pants with a black lace overlay, and multiple tops for each. 

Choices were made, (the fancy red pants and a plain black top with a fancy-ish necklace) and once dressed, it was time to prepare for another departure. 

Bagged wines for the wine pull raffle were gathered. Winston was let outside. Potty pads were l set on the kitchen floor. Luckily, I realized I hadn’t fed him yet and got that settled. And then I was off to the event.

The centerpieces had already been set out when I arrived. Sponsor and program cards were set at each place setting. The wine raffle table was set up in a corner. Other raffle items were set on a table in another corner. Table assignment cards were laid out alphabetically on the check-in table. And we were ready for “Dinner and a Show.”

After helping with check-ins, the bar was visited for a beverage. The beer selection left me unimpressed. The array of wine and the full liquor selection provoked anxiety. I told the bartender I didn’t know what to order, and Aperol Spritz had been stuck in my head for the past month. The bartender delivered the best news possible, saying “I can do that.” And boom, there was my drink. Aperol after all. 

The event ran smoothly. The room was full, the food was good. The entertainment, comprised of local singers and musicians, was stellar. There was a variety of semi-oldies popular songs interspersed with show tunes.

And now it's back home with Winston in his bed on the floor and a rewatch of a Perry Mason episode on TV (new HBO, not the old-timey series). 

No comments:

Post a Comment