Tuesday, April 18, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,127 – (Tuesday) – mrs. maisel

The new season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel started last week. This show is the reason I finally caved and joined Amazon Prime after hearing the hype and seeing episodes at my friend’s house. I loved the zippy dialogue and I really loved the clothing, which confirms my suspicions I was born in the wrong fashion era.

Midge Maisel in her sit down job outfit.
Season five, like its predecessors, is loaded with great fashion looks. There is also some brilliant fashion logic, like when Midge realizes that her new office job will require a lot of sitting and a different silhouette than her usual stand-up gigs spent literally standing while on a stage. As a result, she’s up at 4:00 in the morning rifling through her closet for an outfit for the first day at the new job. She’s not wrong and I get it. 

I can say from experience and more than a few ripped seams that sitting in a sleek pencil skirt is a different experience than sitting in a flared skirt. Even more challenging are walking and entering and exiting a vehicle. 

Then there was the 1960s wool straight dress with gold-tone buttons that was once my Mom's. I wore it to my job at the museum in Clarksville, Tennessee. We were hosting a reception and I crouched down to pick up something from the lobby floor and the seam in the lining split open. Oy. At least it was at the end of the event and it wasn't the outer seam where people could see it.

It’s been more than enough time for me to have forgotten most of the story lines from the previous four seasons of Mrs. Maisel. Normally, I would prepare and binge all the the earlier seasons, but I dove straight into season five tonight. Except for the great fashions, the show is leaving me kind of flat. Everything feels a bit overdone. Over scripted. Over acted. A bit too contrived. It might not even be the show. Maybe it’s just more collateral damage from my mysteriously disappearing sense of humor. I hope it comes back soon, I really miss it.

With Mrs. Maisel now airing its final season, maybe the Prime subscription can be cancelled before the next renewal. It's the only show I watch on it anymore, free delivery from Whole Foods went away ages ago, and next day delivery on most products is mostly a memory. Sigh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment