Thursday, April 27, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,136 – (Thursday) – flower and flag

Wayward plant is
growing strong.
There is a bleeding heart plant growing next to a violet between the pavers under the mailbox. I noticed it a couple days ago and thought that I should pull it out and replant it elsewhere. I didn’t. There has been rain since, and I’m also kind of lazy and haven’t pulled any of the gardening tools out from the shed yet.

While letting Winston outside today, I noticed the wayward plant has grown a lot in the past couple days, has flowers, and now I’m not sure what to do with it. There is another one sprouting up between a paver and the front steps. 

My gardening skill tends to be limited to noticing that there are oversized and/or oddly placed plants that need attention or relocation. By the time the weather is dry or I have the time, energy, or interest to get to the task, it seems like it’s too late to do so.

As I was in the driveway starting the car to leave for book club after work, the random plant fluttered under the mailbox and the wind blew the neighbors’ flags in the perfect, photo worthy manner. By the time I dug the phone out of my bag to take a photo, the wind had shifted and the flag on the tall flagpole was flipping and flopping around instead of displaying itself in the perfect windblown pose. 

Flag photo flop.
I sat in the car like a weirdo, camera phone aimed at the next-door neighbors’ flag on the tall pole and the one mounted from the front of the house beyond, waiting for the wind to shift again. It did, but not enough to make the flag on the pole fly like it did before the camera was ready. Such is life.

The trip downtown to book club took me over the Merrimack River on the University Avenue bridge in the opposite direction than the past two nights. There was time to look around because as usual, I hit the red light. The water is still very enthusiastic and energetic and it was nice to see it in action from a different vantage point.

No comments:

Post a Comment