Wednesday, November 30, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 988 (Wednesday) – supper thoughts

Supper.
Tonight’s supper was salsa, queso, and corn chips. It’s probably not a normal supper for most people. Neither is a lot of the stuff I like make, but the "meals" prepared are what I like to eat, and I enjoy making them. Most of them, anyway. It wasn’t always this way, and I didn’t always like to cook. I used to be more into baking, which is rarely done now except at Christmas. 

The interest shifted from baking sweets to enjoying making meals and soups on the stovetop when I was divorced from Ex2 and primarily solo.

Tonight, while assembling my slightly unconventional supper, it occurred to me that this “meal” would have been totally unacceptable with Ex2. He expected (more like demanded) supper on the table the minute he arrived home from work, just like his mother did. Of course, she was a career housewife, and for much of our marriage I worked full time and arrived home barely an hour before him. 

His picky palate was limited to meat, potato, and a vegetable nearly every night, which isn’t what I like to eat, and certainly not every night. Worse, he liked his food really plain, so I spent a lot of time attempting to cook boring food with minimal flavor. It's harder than it sounds and I hated every minute of it. He also wasn’t keen on leftovers, so it was hard to plan ahead and catch a break from the nightly meal prep, except on Friday nights when we went out one of the two restaurants in town he liked.

Nowadays, anything I feel like cooking is fair game, and if I don’t feel like cooking, that is fine, too. Cooking big on the weekend and then eating the same thing for a couple consecutive meals to minimize future cooking is the preferred procedure. Getting creative with what is on hand is definitely a lot more fun than cooking night after night for someone who didn’t like anything except potatoes and overdone meat. And sometimes “cooking supper” means pouring some salsa onto a plate with heated queso and throwing some chips on it. It’s all good. For me, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment