Thursday, November 17, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 975 (Thursday) – beer flavored

I grew up with potato chips. My family casually flirted with the big cannisters of Humpty Dumpty chips, and once, when emptied, one was collaged with fashion images by my pre-teen hands and used as my bedroom wastebasket throughout junior high and high school. There were brief family flings with bags of Wachusett and several other brands, but Tri Sum were the family chips of choice. 

There have been stretches of life where minimal attention was paid to chips and all focus was directed towards chocolate. Now, the snack pendulum has swung towards salty treats, and those are the first choice lately, sometimes accompanied by chocolate, which is a really good combination.

Beer flavored potato chips.
So, yes, I like potato chips. Right now anyway. Most potato chips and flavors, except for vinegar because gawd, those make my tongue curl. I also like beer, and sometimes drink beer while eating potato chips. Naturally, seeing beer flavored potato chips at Aldi on Wednesday piqued my interest. 

The beer flavored potato chips lasted 26 hours on the counter before being opened. It was partly a test of will, with a small idea that they would be opened as a treat. A reward of sorts. Today work was busy all day and a reward seemed appropriate for having  survived it.

After supper, the bag of beer flavored chips was opened. The bag was held open and there was big inhalation of the beautiful aroma of a new bag of chips. This move was learned from EX2, who dramatically did it every time he opened a bag of chips. Every. Time. I do it only occasionally. The beer chips smelled like nothing remarkable.  

A chip was chosen from the bag and eaten. The first, immediate reaction was that it was gross. I have a rule that if don’t something the first time it's tried, I try it a second time, just to make sure. It could be fluke, or a bad sample selection that is not indicative of the true product. A second chip was eaten. And a third. Still gross. Really gross. 

The chips seemed to include the hint of stale, skunky beer, but the flavor didn’t come through as beer, just indescribably gross. I’ve never tasted cat pee, but that is the best guess I have for the flavor profile of beer flavored chips. There are now two flavors of chips I never need to taste again. No stars. I do not recommend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment