Thursday, November 10, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 968 (Thursday) – rut bound

The Internet outage of Wednesday night sent me to bed at the early hour of 8:00, chilly, slightly cranky, and mostly tired. Winston had us up at 12:30-ish, and the Internet was still out. I fell back to sleep mapping out my remote work day contingency plan where I would go to the office if there was no Internet when I got up. The wardrobe would be the black pants worn on Wednesday, because they fit, with some different top.  People might not notice the same pants two consecutive days, but an entire outfit on repeat might be less forgettable and I don’t need people thinking I’m senile or too lazy to put in some effort. 

Long gone are the days of my first "real job" when I went three months without repeating an outfit. There was a lot less to worry about at age 22.

Lunch would be tricky because there were no interesting leftovers left to grab. Remote days are usually designated as soup days because I like soup, but it's too tricky to carry in to work without the fear and risk of spillage.

Luckily, the fallback plan wasn’t needed. The alarm went off at 6:15, the wifi was connected and I didn’t need to be self-conscious if I was wearing the same thing two days in a row. For the record, I did not wear the same thing as Wednesday.

A text message from Xfinity said the service was restored at “approximately 6:26 a.m.” meaning they missed the 2:00 target by a solid six hours. That was less important than the fact it was functional in time for me to work. Had it come back at 2:00 a.m., I still would have been sleeping and not aware of it nor cared.

Winston worshipping the sun.
The sunny day had the Canine Overlord twitchy being in the house. He spent time lounging on the deck in the sun while I toiled inside for the money to keep him in kibble and biscuits. Sometimes he finds a sunny patch in the house in which to nap and I will admit to some envy. It must be nice to have a life where someone prepares and serves all the food and one is free to wander from one sunny spot to another to nap and hang out.  

After work and beyond “regular” business hours on the brink of a holiday weekend, it was realized that the car payment is due tomorrow and I never received the bill. It required setting up yet another online account, this time with the lender, but it was good it could be dealt with immediately. Panic really helps to get things done pretty fast. This is the brutal stretch of the month when 90% of the bills are due in a 16-day stretch. So stressful.

All is back to normal with the cable and Internet functioning and the regular and familiar rut is solidly occupied. A Finnish crime drama series with English subtitles is streaming from Netflix, the phone is nearby, along with a cup of raspberry herbal tea, and the laptop is on my lap. All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment