Friday, July 22, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 866 (Friday) – ten/ten

The youngest niece has turned 18. Holy crap, how did this even happen? 

Today was taken as a vacation day because I thought today was my niece’s birthday. It was actually yesterday. This is not the first time I have had this recordkeeping blunder, but I caught my error in time and was able to wish her a happy birthday on the correct day. Today, Mom, Sis, and the two nieces who still live locally met for a birthday lunch.

Birthday girl chose Uno Pizzeria and Grill for the destination. It was air conditioned and on the frosty side of comfortable, and Birthday Girl was chilly in her short sleeve tee. I absolutely understand. I had on a long sleeve cotton shirt and rolled the sleeves down for comfort, by my legs were cold because I was wearing shorts. 

Leftovers for supper. Yum!
Lunches were ordered. Food was delivered. There was a tiny mix-up when my medium-rare bacon bleu cheese burger turned out to be a well-done cheddar burger. I noticed the over-doneness when I cut it in half and figured I might be able to deal with it. After a couple bites, it finally registered it was not bleu cheese, either. 

As we tried to get the server’s attention, a nearby table caught her first, and we learned where my burger had landed. It was fixed and all was well. These things happen and I understand. My years in an apron running meals to tables have provided insight and empathy. Half of my lunch came home in a box and reappeared as supper, supplemented by apps from book club. 

After the lunch, it back to Sis’s house for cake and ice cream before Birthday Girl went to work. It was fun to sit around chatting and relaxing before, during and after lunch. As usual, the topics were all over the place. Paperwork piles that magically appear all over the kitchen (family trait?). Crazy Tik Tok videos featuring real life lawyers that seem like SNL skits (dude out of Clarksville, TN). Funny comedy performers (Ismo from Finland and Leanne Morgan from Tennessee). Taking inventory in the produce department at 4:00 am (duties at middle niece’s job). The wonder of Hoodsie cups and eating with tiny spoons (all in attendance).

When I lived at Mom’s after moving from Tennessee, we did this all the time. It happens regularly for Sis, Mom and nieces because they live closer to each other than I do, but full-time work and 30 miles distance keeps me out of the mix a lot. On the positive side, I appreciate and value the time when it happens.

Another thrift store score.
On the way home, traffic on 495 was the summer Friday nightmare. Waze rerouted me out of the highway hell and I ended up on the street where the St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store is located. It seemed like a sign from the Universe, so I stopped in. 

It was another successful visit and I left with black and white seersucker shorts and a blue Hawaian style shirt for the thrift store thrifty total of $7. Summer wardrobe refresh has happened. 

At home, while the thrift store aroma was laundered out of the new treasures, supper was followed by a cold Sam Adams Reunion IPA that has been chilling in the fridge since Christmas. The vacation day felt like a vacation. Overall, it was a great day. Ten out of ten. 

No comments:

Post a Comment