Saturday, July 16, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 860 (Saturday) – thrifty score

Cool staircase at Mill No.5.
Mill No. 5 is a really cool converted mill building with creaky floors, interesting staircases, and fun shops including a coffee shop, soda fountain, book store, record shop, and movie theater. They regularly host themed markets with additional specialty vendors, and today’s pop-up vintage market had a large room filled with many vendors. With great triumph, I made it out of the house to attend. 

The departure from the house didn’t happen as early as initially imagined, but that was a calculated tradeoff. For days I looked forward to the National Park Service urban hike which began at 10:00 downtown, but the wonky knee was hurting when I got up. This is the knee that the orthopedic surgeon says is fine according to the x-rays. 

It doesn’t help that I keep forgetting to take the ibuprofen that was prescribed for inflammation. Most of the time it gets hung up on the “take with food” instruction, which rarely coincides with appropriate timing to take the stuff. A three-mile walk (or limp) seemed unwise, and I saved the knee for the afternoon. One temperamental knee is one reason why much of life has been put on hold in recent months.

There was a fair amount of clothing at the vintage market, and while looking at a rack of carpenter and painter pants, I was slapped with the depressing realization that the stuff I wore in high school is now part of the “vintage” category of commerce. My own small collection of dresses, coats, and purses from the 50s and 60s is probably now considered a relic of ancient history. Such a sobering concept. 

Thrift store $5.30 score!
I saved a fortune at the market by not seeing anything I wanted to buy. Later, a trip to the local St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Shop was more fruitful. For the thrifty sum of $5.30, I got a pair of madras shorts, a pink western style shirt, and a necklace. Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment