Friday, July 1, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 845 (Friday) – downtown lunch

This morning before work and after finalizing plans with Mom for the weekend, I saw my daily horoscope in my email. It opened with “A change of scenery could be beneficial today” and mentioned "venturing out of town." Ok, the plan for different scenery in another town might be one day off, but it still felt like an affirmation of the overall plan.

At 10:55 this morning there was a weird horn sound outside and I walked over to the window to see what I could see. There was a trolley crossing Merrimack Street. It wasn’t the “Ding ding ding went the bell” sound in the Judy Garland Trolley Song. It was more of bleating sound, but suddenly I wanted to ride the National Park Service downtown trolley. As much as it sounds like a good idea, this did not happen today, but now there is a summer goal.

LaLa Books!

At lunchtime, there was a walk to pick up my book order from LaLa Books. It’s The Woman in the Library, the July book club selection. The walk to LaLa was a terrific chance to thaw out from the highly effective air conditioning that had me freezing all day. I was cold because I accidentally spaced out and violated my one steadfast wardrobe rule – layers. I had on only a long sleeve button front cotton shirt that was perfect for an 80-degree day, but not so great in a chilly office without the cardigan I usually have but forgot today. 

After the bookstore, there was some aimless wandering. I paused outside a gallery café that has a menu in the window. There were no portable lunch items in the fridge or cabinet today, just ingredients. This had me foraging for lunch downtown, because there was not even bread for a peanut butter sandwich, my usual fallback for a desperate lunch situation.

Current favorite shoes.
While debating the merits of the café sandwiches against the memory of the falafel sandwich I’m not even sure is still carried at the market I haven’t been to in ages, or pizza from a couple blocks further away, a National Park Service Ranger passed by and complimented my red wingtip oxford shoes. They are a pretty swell pair of Cole Haan shoes, super comfortable, and the best under $20 consignment store purchase in ages. The red shoes are the current favorite shoes. Today anyway. The title transfers regularly.

The winner of lunch choices roulette ended up being Subway. Again. Again, as in the second time this week eating a 12-inch Veggie Delite. I was in the same lunch boat on Monday. Some lessons are never quite learned.

Except for the being chilly part, the day was quite a good one. And now it’s the long weekend, which includes time with Mom and an astrologically encouraged change of scenery. And hopefully some grocery shopping before the office days next week. Oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment