Wednesday, July 20, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 864 (Wednesday) – hydration

The work wellness program “Hydration Challenge” is underway. I missed it last year because I forgot to pay attention and registration was closed when I finally learned about it.

Evening hydrating.
The object of the challenge is to drink and log 64 ounces of water at least four days a week for four weeks. I’ve done the challenge before, back in the pre-pandemic “before times” and it seemed easy. The water machine was about ten steps away from my desk, delivering chilled and instant hot water with the flick of a lever and I was there often for tea and instant cocoa in the cold season, and endless refills of deliciously chilled water in the warm season. I was well hydrated throughout the year, and for four weeks I logged the water consumption into the wellness website. 

This year is different. It’s a lot less easy. 

The water machine on my side of the suite had some issues. The hot water was great and hot and instant, but the cold water wasn’t really chilled any more. Someone on the team put in a service ticket, expecting to be told that it would either be fixed, or something like “oops so sad,” that’s as cold as it will be. Instead, the machine was spirited away. Word is, it’s gone for good. And I am parched.

There is still a water machine on the floor, but it’s all the way across the building and around a corner. Instead of being able to fill a cup of water in mere seconds while a program file is opening and I can see my screen from the machine, it’s a journey that requires locking the screen according to protocols and walking across the building. The route goes past three cubicles, one glass walled conference room, and three glass walled offices. I always feel self-conscious during the journey, like I'm walking too heavy, or trespassing. On the bright side, I’m getting more steps into my alarmingly sedentary lifestyle.

The result is, I drink a lot less water now. What used to be six to eight cups of water during the workday is now one or two cups. A bigger vessel isn’t necessarily the answer, as it can be tricky aligning a water bottle under the spout. I would have to buy a new water chilling bottle to leave at work or transport one back and forth three days a week. I have yet to meet a water bottle that isn't a hand-wash only pain in the butt to clean. The eight-ounce disposable paper cup or the ceramic coffee cup in my desk are easy to wash, practical, and convenient, at least when the water source is nearby.

So yes, the water consumption during the office day is challenging, and I’m trying to make up for it at night. The usual evening water consumption of several 12- or 16-ounce glasses after supper has been bumped up to hit the target. And who doesn’t love waking up at 1:30 am for a sprint downstairs to the bathroom? A little late night/early morning indoor track event be fun. Or cause a heart attack. I guess we’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment