Sunday, July 3, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 847 (Sunday) – leisure day

Sunday leisure.
It was a gloriously leisurely day free of commitments. It was the day of my dreams.

There was a lot of sitting around and playing Scrabble GO and reading news with ideas swimming in the background. Fuzzy little seeds of ideas that might eventually be dismissed after a period of percolation. Others may turn into something. Time will tell. 

While I lounged on the couch, Winston lazed about nearby on the rug. We were creatures of leisure. 

Life maintenance tasks were performed on no particular schedule. Poop was harvested from the yard. Sheets were washed. Food was prepared – real food, sliced and cooked in a pan. The July book club selection was nearby, but sat untouched. 

Food and a book.
Mad Men played on the TV most of the day, thanks to Prime. I watched the entire series when it first aired and loved the clothing and décor. I want the dresses, and I would be thrilled if gloves made a comeback so I could hide my dry, veiny, and elderly hands.

Watching Mad Men again is like seeing it for the first time thanks to remembering very little. Damn, Don Draper beds a lot of women. And women had an entirely different life in the early 1960s and except for the clothes and furniture, I wouldn't want much else of it.

Today’s favorite relatable show quote took place in Season Two, episode Three, at the stables where Betty Draper goes riding. There is a younger man, Arthur, who rides there, not very well and mostly to please his girlfriend.

Betty: “I like being around you. Don’t say anything to ruin that.”

A Pause

Arthur: “You’re so profoundly sad.”

Betty: “No. It’s just my people are Nordic.”

I had to pause, rewind, and enjoy that exchange more than once. So, so relatable. There have been too many real life instances where a romantic interest in someone has been erased after they kept running their mouth and inadvertently talked me out of it. And the people assuming sadness thing? There have been too many times being on the receiving end of that one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment