Saturday, December 18, 2021

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 642 (Saturday)

The day was planned to be a day of nothing. As in, lounging around the house all day, drinking coffee, watching movies and/or reading. I talked with Mom during the week and when she asked about my weekend plans, I said “I’m not doing anything on Saturday. Nothing. On purpose, and I can’t wait.”

Finnish breakfast at home.
The day began with sitting around in pajamas and the purple bathrobe I’ve had for close to forever, sipping freshly opened and brewed new Finnish coffee, paired with some Finnish pulla bread from the freezer. It was yummy. 

After I got dressed the day of doing nothing began going sideways. In advance of the forecasted snow/sleet/frozen crap from the sky, the poop crop was harvested in the front and back yards. It was a bountiful gathering, due to the neglect of the property owner. Right, me. The weird holes that appeared in the back yard a couple months ago have tripled. Something has dug up the yard with dozens of shallow holes. I’m positive it wasn’t Winston, because he’s never been a digger, they aren’t like dog dug holes, and he’s never outside long enough to do such a thing.

Winston and I went for a ride to pick up free home COVID tests that were being distributed this morning. It was a short ride that took us through a neighborhood with streets named for months and numbers and a big hill with some really cool older homes that reminded me of Fitchburg.

It’s my own fault for not knowing the city. In five years here, I’ve never gone exploring.  Moving to a city and not getting to know it is something I was always critical of other people for, and now I’m one of those people who lives in a city and only knows how to get to work and back home.

Sadly, it’s just one of the many ways in which I’ve developed habits criticized in others. We won’t get into all the others just now, I was already bummed out at lack of local awareness.

On the way back home, Winston suddenly started barking which is unusual, and I kept telling him we’d be home in a minute and hoping if he needed to potty we’d make it in time. When we got home, he stopped barking. He also marched up the stairs to the door without a potty stop, so there is no telling what the outburst was about.

Duck vs chicken egg.
After the unplanned errand, the holiday sweets began to happen in the kitchen while music channel played on the TV. I was chilly and thought baking would be a good remedy. Unfortunately, the first recipe I grabbed to work on was a no-bake cracker candy thing. Then, a cookie dough was mixed, where a direct comparison was seen of a large chicken egg and a duck egg. Wow. I hope the giant duck egg doesn't affect the recipe.

The dough was rolled into logs and needed four hours to chill, so the dishes were cleaned up. the oven hadn't been turned on yet, but at least the dish water was warm. Then a new puzzle was started. Now, the big decision is whether to slice and bake a million cinnamon cookies or finally get back to the plan of doing nothing.

It wasn’t the day I planned, and I failed at doing nothing, but it all felt pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment