Tuesday, December 14, 2021

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 638 (Tuesday)

Today, I took a break from work and went for a walk downtown. This is something my colleagues regularly do, and which I plan to do, but rarely manage with any regularity.

The walk included a brief visit to Rainbow Fashions, a chain stored geared to a young demographic, but where a few items have been found for myself, including one of my favorite pairs of boots, purchased pre-pandemic. Nothing fabulous was found there today.

The next stop was Dollar Buy, one of my favorite entertainment stops. It’s a quirky store which sells a little bit of everything. By everything, we’re talking mousetraps and hardware items; dishes; slippers, lingerie, boxer shorts, and satiny dresses; shower curtains; and lottery tickets. Sometimes, I go there to be entertained by the ridiculous translations on the product labels. My favorite so far is the rolling pin labeled as a “movable stick.” 

Old mitts, meet your replacement.
Today I broke down and bought new oven mitts. Or, as the stalker I once accidentally dated back in my 30s called them, “kitchen mittens.”

They’ve been needed for a while. The two I have are old, gross, and yucky looking, and the tip of one was accidentally burned years ago. Any time I was shopping and thought to look at new ones, they were ugly and remained unbought. Why the oven mitt appearance felt important is a mystery considering they are not displayed in the kitchen as an accessory. They live in a drawer and are pulled out for about five minutes when I bake or cook. When they do come out, half the time, I think, “Dang, I really need new oven mitts.”

Along with the two oven mitts in a basic gray-silver color, I also got a set of three mesh drain screens, one each for bathroom sink, tub, and kitchen sink and a set of three removable plastic hooks. Now I can swap out the yucky drain screens and finally hang the wreath that has been sitting on the dining room since around Thanksgiving.

It was a successful thirty-minute break. If only the rest of life felt this accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment