Thursday, December 9, 2021

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 633 (Thursday)

For at least two days there were headlines and hype about snow this week. All day on Wednesday, along with the time and date, my cell phone displayed snowflakes and the message that it would snow, and I quote, “in 103 minutes.” So precise. News reports referenced possible snow during the evening commute. So inaccurate. 

It didn’t snow a single flake all the work day nor on the ride home. We’d dodged a snowball. Maybe my preparations with buying Snow Melt last week and having the shovels ready acted as snow prevention. Perhaps I take too much credit. 

During the night, the phone continued to indicate it would snow in various near future timeframes, or that it was currently snowing when it was not. When I let Winston outside, the yard, car, street, and sky were surveyed, but there was not a flake to be seen. It was just cold. I wasn't sure if I was glad or sad about the lack of snow.

At 5:30 this morning there was a noise outside that woke me and inspired me to get out of bed and look out the window. A salt truck was treating the whitened street. By the full light of day, it was revealed to be just a light, powdery coating of snow, perfectly fitting the “dusting” description. In under a minute, I scraped the front stairs and cleared a path so Winston could access the yard more easily. After drinking coffee, a minute was spent clearing the back stairs and path to the back yard. The snow scraping activity is an increase in the recent physical activity level, so it was declared a win. 

I didn’t have to go downtown today, and from the remote office desk I could admire the fresh snow on the back yard grass. Winston went out a couple times and sniffed his way around the unevenly coated yard but didn't care to stay out very long. 

As the sun rose above the neighboring houses and trees, the scant snow cover melted. It was fresh, pretty, and short-lived, which might be the description of a perfect city snowfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment