Friday, June 26, 2020

“Remoted” – Workday 76 / Day 102 (Friday)



Work is done for the week, and it was a long and weird week. I was really, really ready for Friday evening booze o’clock to arrive.

The week held a little confusion and a couple wacky computer issues. There was the sudden non-functioning of my computer's web camera right before our team video meeting which left me appearing as a blank box on the grid layout and a disembodied voice on the line. I didn’t like feeling like a spy lurking in the shadows and ended up logging in with my phone. That had me holding my phone delicately propped against the keyboard for the better part of an hour. Yes, I have a cell phone holder. It’s on my desk in the office I haven’t been in since mid-March. I’ve never even used it, but it sure would have been helpful this week.

After the camera issue, I got to enjoy frozen Outlook email for a good hour or so, which is nowhere near as delightful as a frozen pina colada or a bowl of ice cream. (Or "frozen dairy dessert," as it's often called now. Apparently, they haven't figured out it is also a nice breakfast or supper.) I tried using Task Manager, logging out and back in, and restarting the computer, but it just kept opening up in the frozen email screen. Even the IT Help Desk had a little fun with that one, but got it figured out because everyone on that team is some kind of wizard. 

For the rest of the week I was sort of waiting to see what would screw up next. I tried to remain detached so I didn’t accidentally manifest more mayhem by focusing on it and attracting it to myself. I’m blaming Mercury retrograde for all the communication and technology weirdness. And it’s retrograde until July 12, so we aren’t in the clear for a while yet. Hold onto your seats, the fleet footed messenger god probably isn't done with us yet.

There was the Thursday sore throat that led to the rescheduled dental and hair appointments, causing scheduling ripples for two businesses. I hate doing that. I hope the result was that it cleared a slot for a more urgent dental matter at one place and room for a couple more hair clients at the other. On Thursday I also received a “we’re sorry we missed you email” from the eye doctor for an appointment I probably made when I was there last year, you know, long before a pandemic. Oops. Maybe a reminder before the appointment would have been a good idea. I still don’t even know when that alleged appointment was on their calendar. I feel bad, that was not on my radar at all.

Hooray for fried seafood and a cannoli!
Despite having a ton of food here, I didn’t feel like making supper and I’ve eaten tomato pie every day this week and it isn’t finished yet, so I just had to say no.  It was decided to support a local business and order in from my new favorite delivery place with the loyalty program and the $5 off reward coupon I received via email. At least I actually ordered the fried seafood dinner I wanted, and not baked like the last time. And a cannoli! There are plenty of leftovers, too, so that was a success. 

Before ordering supper, I logged out of the “work side” of the computer and dashed from the desk, having decided on a wine cooler to be made with the last of the bottle of red that is open and the ginger ale that surprisingly isn’t flat yet. An appropriately sized glass was filled with ice, and the next thing I knew I was standing at the sink holding a glass of ice water, my usual beverage. Duh. The bar service at the BungaLowell really stinks sometimes. It’s amazing how often I end up with ice water instead of the “something better” I meant to have.  I wasn’t going to waste a lovely glass of ice water, especially after some knucklehead left one of the ice cube trays with only two cubes in it and now there won’t be enough ice for the rest of the night. Ok, obviously, it was me. The dogs are ruled out due to being too short (I mean height challenged) to reach the freezer. Whatever.

It’s been a week. I’m glad it’s over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment