Friday, June 5, 2020

“Remoted” – Workday 61 / Day 81 (Friday)

Front yard Irises!

Friday! Yay! The Irises and the Rose bush out front are blooming, so the yard, despite the dirt patches and redneck broken fence (thank you neighbor's guest) looks slightly better, in a polished turd kind of way. 

Today was scheduled for a vacation day, but late Thursday afternoon, with a to-do list still to be done, I scrapped the day off idea. It wasn’t like there were any plans. The only thing booked for the day had been the dental visit originally booked for Saturday (after two earlier reschedules), then moved to today, then, rescheduled again for next week (the fifth attempt now). Appointments in the time of COVID-19 require, among many other things, flexibility.


Front yard Roses!
The loose plan for the day was bringing the car for an oil change, tail light bulb replacement, and inspection sticker, but that was transformed from a loose Friday plan to a solid Monday plan on Thursday when an appointment was scheduled at the auto service shop two streets away from the house. I’ll drop it off at 8:00, walk back to the house with plenty of time for work at 8:30, then pick it up later when it’s done. I’ll leave the house. Twice in one day. Holy crap, I better start preparing.

During the day, I thought maybe I would separate the potted basil after work and plant some of it in the deck planter. I should have just done it when I thought of it, it would have taken about 10 minutes, tops. After work, it was a little warm, I needed to make supper, my enthusiasm had diminished, and the planting didn’t happen. I read a book on the deck (still A Thousand Splendid Suns, but almost done). Saturday and Sunday are wide open for whatever, so maybe in the morning I’ll handle the basil. Beyond that, based on recent history, we can be pretty sure the weekend will likely be two full days of not much.

The replacement phone that the rep said yesterday would arrive on Monday the 8th actually arrived today in a box with a Fort Worth return address, fewer than 24 hours since my call. How the heck do they even do that? Pretty impressive, really, like some kind of Harry Potter magic. I should be thrilled, as the aggravation of the battery that dies every 30 minutes is pretty high, but the idea of doing the activation feels like work. Suddenly everything feels like work. Even things that used to be fun, if I remember what that even is. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment