Wednesday, June 17, 2020

“Remoted” – Workday 69 / Day 93 (Wednesday)



It was a wacky Wednesday all the way around. Logged on to work at 8:15 and by 8:45 there were more WTFs and For Fox Sakes flying around than possibly ever in the long and colorful history of my potty mouth. Remember Midas and how everything touched turned to gold? Well, substitute poop and you will get an idea of what my frequent bouts of Reverse Midas Touch feel like.

The day featured a little problem solving, a little learning, and a little putting out of fires. There was the usual deluge of emails. And in between it all, there were brilliant bursts of crystal clear focus that let me finish drafts of website content and customer messaging and deliver them to others for review. 

There were even comical moments. Around noon, as I stood on the tiny porch at the top of the back stairs waiting for Moose to finish his business, a bird flew overhead. I saw the hint of a shadow, and felt a plop. The bird had let a load of poop fly, which somehow landed in the middle of my shirt at about mid stomach. How does this even happen? The precision of that angle! I stood there, looking at the white poop on my black shirt and laughed like a fool. Excuse me, do you have any white poop-on? Why yes I do, it’s right here on my shirt. Sometimes the Universe likes to remind me that some days are just spotted with crap. But it washed off, nobody was hurt, and my demented sense of humor had a laugh.

Find the plum in the produce.
The produce box arrived, and today’s FedEx delivery person at least had the sense to leave it in a patch of shade next to the front stairs instead of baking on the asphalt in the sun like the last two produce deliveries. It contained delicious and tiny grape tomatoes that inspired salad for supper. I had also checked off “plums” on the order customization, which implied more than one, but the box contained just one teeny tiny plum that makes the Roma tomatoes look extra large. The Universe is having a grand time with me today. 

After work, I tuned into a Jacob’s Pillow premier viewing of “The Men Who Danced” about Ted Shawn’s men’s dance group. It is a beautifully done video and of special interest to me because for several years of my youth (but not as many as I wish), I studied Denishawn, the style of dance created by Ruth St. Denis and Ted Shawn which is the early roots of American modern dance and of which Martha Graham, Doris Humphrey, and Louise Brooks were students. The video made me nostalgic for the dance studio and my teacher, Marion Rice, who studied at the Braggiotti-Denishawn School in Boston and taught us so many years later. I’m sad that I can’t meet up with the group of dancers from the studio for their weekly dance meetup outdoors one morning a week because of the whole time/space challenge and work. It’s 2020. Where is my clone who can do my work for me while I go dance? Where is my teleport machine so I can get to places and back in a flash?

To better see the video, I closed the blinds hung in the window behind me to stop the glare on the computer screen. An hour later when I re-opened them, two of the strings let loose and they hung in the window, all pathetically cockeyed and broken. I tried to refasten the strings but the plastic mechanism that secures them in the head rail was broken on two of the three strings and after a few minutes, it hardly seemed worth the effort. It was another “how does this even happen?” moment, but less comical than the bird poop incident. Of course, I may regret having given up on the blinds tomorrow when I’m trying to work and the glare bouncing off the computer screen is a blinding issue. Friday is take Moose to the vet on my vacation day, (because if it isn’t the dentist, it’s the vet and that’s how we roll here at the BungaLowell), so maybe I can arrange for a curbside pickup of a vinyl blind while I’m already out.  I guess we’ll see what the Universe has to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment