Friday, June 12, 2020

“Remoted” – Workday 66 / Day 88 (Friday)



Another Friday vacation day, but it was no day at the beach. That type of vacation day seems to be for other people. My vacation day started with coffee on the porch with a book (The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle). Neighbor Guy and I talked about fencing again. It’s one of our top topics (along with our dogs) until we manage to get fencing in our respective yards, and then we can move on to something else. Neighbor Guy and Mrs. Neighbor Guy did their vacation day right proper – with a trip to the beach and Neighbor Guy asked me if I could let their beautiful dog Harley out. Of course I was thrilled to be able to say yes. Harley is my neighbor dog buddy, and her humans are nice, too.

After letting Harley out, it was time to leave for the activity dominating my vacation day, which was definitely not a day at the beach. I had a dental appointment, 25 miles in the opposite direction of the beach. On a glorious mid- to high-80s day, I was driving 495 in my car, which it was discovered today, has no functioning air conditioning. The air it currently dispels is as hot, if not hotter, than the heated air it threw all winter, and I would probably have been aware of this situation if I’d left the house more in the past three months. This would have been terrific knowledge to have, for example, Monday, when the car was dropped at the service station for work, but now I will get to enjoy making another auto service appointment. During the sweltering drive, I started having a glimmer of a faint recollection that the A/C had stopped working last year right around when it was time to switch to using the heater, but who knows. That was a long time ago and a lot of things have happened since then.

The dentist appointment was pretty high on the hellacious scale. Based on the lengthy and expensive appointment with the tooth “buildup” done in February the day after breaking my tooth, I thought today would be the final step in the process. This was not the case. Today was two hours of torture involving about 1,000 Novacaine shots and drilling it seemed would never end. Factor in the A/C-free round-trip travel, and it was four of the most exciting hours in recent memory. And I get to back in two weeks on another fantastic vacation day. Because I really know how to live it up, am I right?

While at the dentist, I made a joke about how I really deserved ice cream for dinner after that visit. Then I realized that would require a stop to buy some, so maybe the proper reward should be vodka, which is stocked at the house. During the drive home with the windows open and the air rushing loud enough to drown out the radio, there was time to consider the merits of a stop at Market Basket. My route home passes a Market Basket so it isn’t even out of the way, and the stop was made.

Spanakopita and salad with feta and
stuffed grape leaves.
The trip to MB was pleasant and uncrowded, and rolling down the nearly deserted aisles allowed time to reflect on how much less expensive MB is than the recent Whole Foods deliveries. Items were tossed into the cart with wild abandon – napkins, toilet paper, coffee filters (100 for $1.99, yes, please!), ramen bricks, stuffed grape leaves, spanakopita, and so on, except for disinfecting wipes (none on the shelf) and Kalamata olives (either relocated or out of stock).

The ice cream freezer usually containing the Edy’s Slow Churned Ice Cream and possibly my favorite flavor – the triple core caramel, presented the sight of an MB team member methodically and rapidly emptying the ice cream into carts. I asked the guy if it was a re-arrangement project or a removal. Turns out the freezer had a problem, and everything it held was "going out back." MB helpful ice cream guy didn’t recall seeing my flavor, and the cart heaped with ice cream containers in various states of frozen-ness seemed to be primarily chocolate flavors. I chose a different brand and flavor, which, unfortunately, is not nearly as satisfying as the originally desired flavor. Vodka may be needed after all. If only I hadn’t skipped the lemonade (the perfect summer vodka mixer) while in MB.


No comments:

Post a Comment