Sunday, June 14, 2020

“Remoted” – Day 90 (Sunday)



Sunday "vacation" supper.
Treating weekends like lazy, commitment-free vacation days is working for me. As an adult, I’m as well-suited to reading books, watching TV, and eating ice cream for supper, as when I was ten years old. I used to attach a lot of guilt to staying home and doing nothing and would force myself out of the house purely to have an answer to the Monday morning office chit chat of “What did you do this weekend?” Trust me, it was hard work. 

The pandemic concept of Social Distancing and avoiding large groups of people basically slapped the social seal of approval on the lifestyle I accidentally landed on after moving back from Tennessee. Several friends and family members with robust social circles and pre-pandemic active calendars filled with events are having a hard time with the isolation. I had the advantage of a seven year head start on the isolation thing, so the pandemic guidelines and staying home as an activity for the greater good is right up my alley. Permission to not leave the house is liberating! I no longer feel embarrassed by doing nothing over the weekend – it’s for the greater good! The pressure of finding destinations and heading out to do something just to have an answer to the usual Monday morning office chit chat is gone.

The past 90 days have delivered the best run of sleep I can recall in, possibly, ever. Sure, the news and events around the country make me cry a lot, but my neck doesn’t hurt like it used to. My shoulders have returned to their normal position and no longer hover around my earlobes. The longer this COVID scenario runs, the harder it might be to get me back out into society. I may need to find a finishing school to relearn basic manners and social etiquette. Do those schools still exist?

No comments:

Post a Comment