Saturday, August 17, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,613 – (Saturday) – old time stuff

The actual birthday was on Tuesday, but that doesn’t mean it was a limited time offer, one-day deal. Today, Mom and I met up to do something we enjoy together and visited a couple antique shops. The first stop was a small shop called The Twisted Daisy on Main Street in Westminster. It has an interesting assortment of stuff. From there we headed past Wachusett Mountain up route 31 to a larger shop called Hunt & Gather Vintage Market in Princeton. 

Bedsprings on the ceiling.
We weren’t looking for anything specific, we were just looking. It's fun to get ideas and see what is available, especially the antiques, many of which are 100% unfamiliar to us. It's also fun to laugh about some of the stuff. 

My favorite things were in Hunt & Gather and they were part of the store décor and not even items for sale. The music playlist was amazing, and I asked about it. It turns out they have a Spotify Playlist and I can listen to the old-timey arrangements of modern songs anytime I want. 

My other favorite things were mounted on the ceiling. There were rusty bed springs, cushion springs, old wooden ladders, trellises, and grids with lights and artificial greenery woven through them. I liked it when I saw it years ago. It turns out, I still like it.

The Old Mill Restaurant.
It would look cool in my enclosed porch if I ever get things in gear and do the scraping, painting and organizing and arranging needed out there and figure out how to mount the bedspring on the ceiling that I want painted in haint blue in the southern porch tradition. Oh, and I'll need to find some old bed springs, or even better, smaller old couch cushions with springs.

After the antique shops, the plan was for lunch at The 1761 Old Mill Restaurant with Mom and Step Dad. The place has been around for over 250 years, and I’ve driven past the place many times since moving back to the homeland, but hadn’t been inside in ages. It was fun seeing the covered bridge, the ducks, the waterfall, and the babbling brook. 

The corn fritters and pecan rolls are as good as ever and my wild mushroom ravioli in tomato cream sauce topped with parmesan was delicious. Overall, it was a fun day of happy good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment