Friday, August 16, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,612 – (Friday) – kitchen time

Second consecutive Friday vacation day. Once again, no plans. Slept late (8:30 am). Spaced out on the couch with coffee, Wordle, Words with Friends, Duolingo (Spanish) and suddenly it was 10:30 and I finally put on “real clothes” (not pajamas). Time flies when you have the day off.

Cheese grating underway.
It was close to 1:00 before I even thought about eating, probably because I wasn’t very hungry. The eggs and cheese began to call from the refrigerator and soon I was cutting and grating hunks of cheese from the freezer, chopping broccoli and mushrooms, and mixing eggs with half and half diluted with water because I don’t have milk. 

There was no way to gauge how much grated random cheese ends equaled the “one block of Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar” noted in the recipe so I just grated all of it, knowing it was more than needed, but not by how much. So what. Unless it’s for a cake or some pastry where the chemistry aspects matter, I consider recipes to be rough ideas.

There have been several summers where there were many vegetables roasted and quiches baked. This was not one of those summers. It’s been hot enough that the thought of using the oven felt like insanity. Or maybe it was my very low levels of olive oil and ability to give a sh*t that kept me from putting in the effort to roast veggies for the past month or so. Whatever. The olive oil and energy still haven’t been replenished, but quiche doesn’t require olive oil and I somehow dredged up the energy today to bake the thing.

Quiche.
An hour after going in, a puffy, steaming, crustless quiche heavy on cheese came out. The top was much browner than usual, probably from all the cheese. Before it cooled a bit, it looked like the whole thing came close to overflowing during the bake. That’s because after I grated too much cheese, I added two extra eggs, but the problem is the only baking dish is smaller than the size noted in the recipe (8” x 8” versus 9” x 9”). Welcome to “Living on the Edge,” the kitchen version. 

At 3:00, while cutting the quiche, I wondered if I was eating late lunch or early supper. In the end, it didn’t matter and it was just eating. The rest is just the human construct of labels and time and recipes. It was good, and now there are portions in the freezer for future meals. Future me will be grateful that today me got off my butt and did something.

No comments:

Post a Comment