Saturday, December 23, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,376 – (Saturday) – relaxing stress

Water is still coming into the basement but at a much slower rate. The stress level has reduced with the water volume. Thank goodness.

The driveway is iced over again due to the continued pumping, but the reduced volume means there is less ice than Friday. If my shoulders and arms weren't screaming from the effort on Friday, I would think I had imagined all the ice chopping. The McGyver fix on the sump pump float isn’t 100% yet. The float is still going sideways and not always triggering the lever to drain, but it is shutting off after emptying so the risk of motor burnout is lessened.

Today, a new recipe was tackled – Chili Chocolate Cookies. I learned about it from a friend and located the recipe online. It seemed straightforward and reasonably detailed, but as I worked on it, questions arose. There was a note about specific oven positions for the racks and a step to line the cookie sheets with parchment paper. Easy, done. 

Chili chocolate cookies.
When the two cookie sheets were in the oven, I realized the first ingredient on the list, “two sprays of cooking spray” hadn’t been referenced in the directions. A few minutes later, things were smelling unpleasant. The parchment paper on the sheet on the bottom rack was scorched, half the cookies had burnt edges, and some of the cookies were stuck to the paper. Ah, the cooking spray would have been super helpful. The next trays of cookies were both set on the top rack.

The recipe included cayenne pepper, but I can’t taste it in the cookies. The measure was “1/4 teaspoon or to taste” which was hard, never having tasted the recipe. The next batch, if there ever is one, will get twice the measure of cayenne. And I still need to try the sriracha cookie recipe I've seen.

Keilbasa!
Later, the family kielbasa recipe was prepared. It’s sliced kielbasa in a sauce of ketchup, vinegar, and dark brown sugar, and we’ve had it at most family Christmas Eve parties since I was a kid. I have no idea where Mummu originally got the recipe from, but I remember helping her make it in the kitchen of her tidy four-room apartment on Rollstone Street when I was a teen. 

A photo of the recipe, copied by me decades ago from Mummu's own files, lives on my kitchen wall in a little frame. For whatever reason, the instructions say to par-boil the keilbasa and then slice it. It's a miracle I have fingerprints. As much as like rules, I slice it first now, directions be damned. 

Mostly ready.
Cookie trays still need to be set up, and a couple gifts wrapped, but overall, everything is under control. Gifts sit under the silver tinsel tree. Some are from friends and will be opened on Christmas Day. Others will be taken to the recipients at the annual family Christmas Eve party.  

Despite the ongoing backdrop of water in the basement, ice in the driveway, and periodically needing to check the sump pump, it was a rather relaxing day. There was time and the available head space to roast Brussel sprouts, and later, sauté onion, carrot, and broccoli to toss with rice and a jar of korma curry sauce. Delicious.

I never left the house until 7:30 when I took a quick run to Family Dollar for some cookie plates, paper towels, and disinfecting wipes. There were more customers in the store than usual. Some seemed to be involved in serious product examination and analysis. 

The weirdest thing seen in the store was an entire section of Valentine’s Day candy right next to the toys and Christmas stuff. Yes, Valentine’s Day. That stressful day in February. As I came down the aisle, another customer said, “Valentine’s? Could we at least get through Christmas?!” Amen, sister. One stressful event at a time, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment