Friday, December 15, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,368 – (Friday) – Barbie (again)

Sometimes you (by which I mean me) need to watch something lighthearted. No crime. No big family drama. Nothing in a foreign language with subtitles.  

Tonight was such a night. 

First, it was a fluffy little movie about a wedding planner (“Christmas Wedding Planner”), and while choosing a follow up show, I remembered the cheery email that came this week. Barbie is streaming on max! The happy colors! The Dream Houses! The beautiful clothes! The convertibles!

So yes, I watched Barbie. For the third time, but the first time at home alone while wearing my cozy fleece pants. It’s still funny. How can you not love blond Ken (whose job is not lifeguard, but "professional Beach”) posturing and arguing with the other Kens with lines including “I’ll beach you off!” and “I’ll beach you both off!” That scene still cracks me up.

Stereotypical Barbie
in her convertible.
And then there is Barbie, in her dawning existential crisis and newly flat feet, telling the other Barbies, “I know I’m stereotypical Barbie and therefore don’t form conjectures concerning the causality of adjacent unfolding events, but some things have been happening that might be related.” The events being, “Bad breath this morning, a cold shower, burnt waffle, falling off my roof.” Barbie is suddenly no longer living the perfect day everyday. Harsh. 

In Barbieland, it’s easy to forget about work, bills, Christmas, and all the Real World aggravation. At least until Barbie takes us to visit the Real World, anyway.

But before the Real World, there is Barbie’s local trip, clad in a dress reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland and trekking like solo Dorothy on the journey to Oz to see Weird Barbie at her Weird House. And Weird Barbie points out the new appearance of cellulite on Stereotypical Barbie’s thigh and delivers the terrible news “that’s going to spread everywhere. And then you’re going to get sad, and mushy and complicated.” Amen, Barbie sisters.

Anyway, gotta run. I have a big date with my Barbie gal pals and the epic trip to the Real World to fix the rip in the Portal. We need to take “a sports car to a speed boat to a rocket ship to a tandem bike to a camper van to a snowmobile” to get most of the way to Los Angeles for the neon outfits and roller blades. Talk about a trip. And I whine about my commute.

Gotta run. Don't want Barbie to leave without me.


No comments:

Post a Comment