Sunday, December 10, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,363 – (Sunday) – stuff and sadness

Clarksville, the city in Tennessee where I lived for 12 years (2001-2013), was visited by another tornado on Saturday. It was during the intermission of Saturday night’s Christmas Concert at Fitchburg State, while standing in the building’s lobby with the weakest of cell phone signals (one tiny little notch of a bar) and no wi-fi connection, that I was able to somehow connect to Facebook to finally broadcast my presence at the concert with a check-in and see what else was going on in the world of my friends. What I was reading seemed scary. 

In 1999, there had been a tornado that ruined a chunk of downtown and during my time in Clarksville there had been more tornado watches and warnings than I wanted to think about. Once, one had touched down in Gallatin and danced around X2's workplace and damaged some buildings. Last night’s event damaged and even destroyed a lot of housing and took the lives of two adults and a child.

Moose, 12-10-2009.
The Sunday morning news included various videos of a tornado and the damage left in its wake. So far, my friends and acquaintances still in C-Ville have fared ok. I miss my friends and the arts scene there, but I sure don’t miss the weather when it gets wild and temperamental.

After the sad news from Tornado Alley, there were Facebook memories to contend with. This date in 2009 was Moose’s “gotcha date” when he left the shelter and came to live with me. It took me about two seconds to be head over heels smitten with him and he was my buddy until the end. We had a good run with lots of cuddles and snuggles. 

After some time spent with coffee and reflection, it was time to get moving. It was Sugar & Spice weekend at The Brush Art Gallery and Studios, and the added incentive of artist made cookies was just the extra little nudge I needed to get me out the door. 

Little Sculpture by Jay Hungate.
The stack of Christmas cards had been addressed, sealed, and stamped and was brought to the Post Office and then it was a mission to get a few Christmas gifts knocked off the list. The mission was a success and there were even a couple things for myself, including a precious little dog sculpture by Jay Hungate. 

Back at home, gifts bought previously and the items from today were wrapped (ok, put into gift bags if we must be precise) and presented a visual accounting of how much has already been done. It’s a relief.

 Next up, the drafting of the annual baking schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment