Wednesday, December 6, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,359 – (Wednesday) – surprises

Snowing!
The day had some surprises. The first was when I opened the bathroom blinds after carefully dressing for chilly weather in a camel colored cashmere turtleneck, with camel colored pants that are just too long enough to require heeled boots. My weather app, consulted before dressing, did not mention snow, but there it was, falling from the sky. 

Snow usually means sensible non-skid footwear to handle the slick surfaces of the sidewalk on the block near work. Changing to flat shoes would then have required different pants and there was no time to start over. The boots were exchanged for a another pair with a Thinsulate lining and fingers were crossed for the best. The snow didn't last long, in the air or on the ground.

The next surprise is that suddenly, I have a sort of a social life. It’s pretty exciting. 

Last week it was the Whistler House Museum event, and this week had Boozy Book Club on Tuesday. Today it was a surprise invitation to attend a cocktail event and the Merrimack Repertory Theatre tonight. Tomorrow there is another event on my calendar, and so far I’m feeling like I could get used to this. As much as it feels that I love staying home, it also turns out I might have missed the social scene, planned and spontaneous.

The cocktail event was at Cobblestone’s, which is across the street from the office in a really cool old building and has great food and drinks. Our private room had meatball sliders, buffalo chicken spring rolls, flaky pastry triangle things with a dot of marinara on top, plus pasta primavera, a veggie and cheese tray, and a bowl of amazing cauliflower in a sauce coating.

MRT set for A Christmas Carol.
After the Cobblestone’s gathering, it was brisk walk in the chilly air to MRT for this year’s production of A Christmas Carol. I saw last year’s production and loved it, and this year’s version was different enough that it felt fresh and new. I had no moments of “oh, I remember that from last time,” and a colleague who had also seen last year’s staging said the same thing. Kudos and my appreciation to MRT for switching it up and making it new. Kind of like my shiny new sort-of social life.

No comments:

Post a Comment