Thursday, September 1, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 898 (Thursday) – Worcester on TV 2

After the successful Prime Video binge of season 1 of Kevin Can F**k Himself before it was gone from the stream, I rediscovered that  AMC is on my cable lineup, which gave me access to season 2. If I ever watched regular TV or consulted the online guide, I would more than likely know AMC was part of it.

The Worcester setting brought me in, and the show’s storyline got dark late in season 1, which might have made me like it more. Now, season 2 is killing me. In a good way. The dramedy is one thing, and someone continues to do their homework with the local references.

Turtleboy - June 2015.
In season 2, episode 1, Patti tells her brother, “Well, you also took a header off Turtle Boy, and Kevin laughed till he puked, so it was a great day.” And I laughed out loud. The delivery of the sentiment sent me back to growing up in Fitchburg and later living in Worcester, and the very specific reference cracked me up. For the non-Worcester folks, “Turtleboy” is a bronze statue of a boy riding a sea turtle that sits on Worcester Common, and is an unofficial mascot for the city.  

In season 2, episode 2, Diane is talking about her husband’s affair with a girl who, in high school, “Lost her virginity to Jay McMahon in the bathroom at Chuck E. Cheese in Fitchburg” (emphasis on “in Fitchburg.”) Ok, Chuck E Cheese was actually in the neighboring city of Leominster, but it just sounds funnier in Fitchburg

Because season 2 is running right now, I need to wait until Monday for another episode and this is why I hate appointment TV. But with fees for cable, Prime, and Netflix, there is already more than enough money being shelled out for the moving picture box and I’m not paying extra for AMC+ streaming just so I can watch my show sooner. That’s good money that is needed for my recreational and cultural trips to Worcester and Fitchburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment