Tuesday, September 6, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 903 (Tuesday) – cemetery walk

The Ayer lion.
It continues to rain. Monday night, while checking the basement for water, a puddle was found at the base of the chimney and in the usual corners. There was also a deceased small, gray rodent in the middle of the floor, so it would appear it’s mouse season as well as (finally) rainy season.

There was a meeting after work, and I also needed to perform my civic duty and vote in the primary election, so at 5:00, I logged off the work system and bolted from the house. My voting place is new, so there was some navigation required to get there, figure out where to park, and then find the entrance to the building. 

After walking all the way around the building from where I parked, I finally saw the voting site sign at the entrance. From the street, parked cars blocked the view of the hand lettered, magic marker sign which had bled in the rain and looked like an abstract water color painting.

The voting was accomplished quickly and I arrived early at the meeting site near Lowell Cemetery. This afforded me the opportunity to have a walk in the cemetery, which I’ve been meaning to do since being part of an organized tour there several years ago. 

Clara Bonney Lilley memorial.
It was gray and misting lightly. The walking app was activated  for distance tracking and mostly for the map, because I've managed to become lost when I already knew where I was, never mind when at someplace visited only once. The walking ended up being power bursts in between frequent stops for photo taking, all while hoping the sky didn't open up with a downpour.

The cemetery is beautiful and is one of the oldest garden cemeteries in the nation. Many of the monuments are gorgeous, and there are impressive, huge sugar maple trees providing cover. My “cemetery light” only have a few minutes speed walking path took me to the J.C. Ayer lion and the Clara Bonney Lilley monument with many small tokens and offerings at her feet. 

The next visit will be planned and less hurried. At least that is what I told myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment