Sunday, September 4, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 901 (Sunday) – naps and nibbles

Winston and I had plans to head west to a cookout at Mom’s today. In the morning bustle of showering, cutting strawberries for dessert, chopping chicken, starting broth, and drinking coffee, I forgot to eat breakfast. In the canine corner of the house, Winston picked out and ate the fresh chopped chicken added to his bowl and skillfully left all the glucose management kibble.

Win’s energy level has been low and he has been sleeping more than he used to. Historically, in the car, he would hop up to the back seat, or would stand at the console as if calculating how to get into the front seat. Today, he stayed in his bed on the floor behind my seat and hardly moved during the ride.

Winston's day of rest.
Once at Mom’s, we did the usual orientation tour around the yard and then we went into the screen house. Win plopped down, alternating between the stone pavers and his bed, oblivious to everything. I dove into the plate of cheese and crackers and the plate of shrimp cocktail. 

When I eat at home, Win is at my side quietly begging which involves him looking adorable and stealthily edging closer to me. It he’s feeling ignored, he’ll emit a sigh or a huff. Today, with prime opportunities to be slipped a piece of shrimp, bit of burger, or a chip from the four humans at the table, he slept. After the boycotted breakfast, this feels troubling.

On the way home, Win slept in his bed. His liveliest moment was when we arrived home and I was chopping chicken to add to his supper. He stood at my feet, tapping has front paws to express his impatience, his too long toenails that he won't let me cut clicking on the floor. When I set his bowl on the floor, he scampered over to it. Again, he picked out all the chicken, which was chopped as tiny as I could get it, hoping to force the intake of the scientifically formulated prescription kibble with the chicken. After eating the best parts of his dinner, he came and begged for some of mine, but by then, it was gone. And then he retired to his bed to sleep.

Maybe he’s just extra tired, but it feels like it might be something more. And now this human's obsession will kick into overdrive and his every bite and every movement will be under scrutiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment