Friday, April 1, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 753 (Friday) – goof-off day-off

The goof-off day-off began with sleeping late. It was 6:40, representing extra sleep time of 20 minutes! Wow. Sadly, the day of leisure started much like a regular day. Then it was up and ‘em with coffee and a movie. More coffee and Gilmore Girls. More coffee and verifying the hours for the thrift shop and checking other attractions in the vicinity.

At 11:45, wearing my jacket and with my purse on my shoulder, it occurred to me it was lunchtime and food should be eaten to eliminate hunger crankiness and the potential ordeal of eating alone in a restaurant. A single serving of mac and cheese was snatched from the freezer, nuked, and consumed.

Quaint street where the
air smells like pizza.
A half hour later I was on my third or fourth lap of the parking lot across the street from the thrift shop, hoping someone would leave when I was in a position to grab the slot. A couple had already been missed when I was on the far side of the loop. Walking from the car to the shop, along a quaint street, the air smelled like pizza and I was glad to have already eaten. 

The shop had a lot of glassware, but not the coveted soup bowls. There was lots of costume jewelry, but nothing very interesting. I almost got a shirt from the basement dollar rack, but decided it didn’t spark joy equal to the wait in line to pay for it. The mac and cheese lunch began to cause stomach activity. The thrift shop was not as great as its social media presence suggested, so kudos to the social media person person. Sadly, it wasn’t worth the drive and the dizzying laps of the municipal lot, but there was another entertainment lined up

After the failed thrift shop quest, it was less than a mile to Addison Gallery of American Art at Philips Academy, which has “one of the most important collections of American art in the country.” I was excited to see their Georgia O’Keeffe works. A sandwich board sign declared “Spring Visit Registration” with an arrow pointing up the private street where I needed to turn, which made my heart sink a bit.

All the parking spots along the street were occupied, as well as every spot not indicated “Event Parking Only.” There was one lap of the lot before heading home. It would figure that the one time I finally go adventuring, I pick the day of a campus visit event. Fail. At least my stomach had settled down.

The stop at Family Dollar on the way home was semi-successful. Frozen egg rolls and face wipes were restocked, but toilet paper was forgotten. Then it was back to the Gilmore Girls and the folks of Star Hollow and Yale.

The failed quests continued while trying to look at phones at the Verizon website on the laptop.  One of the shopping questions was if I was a new customer (the folks who get all the great deals) or an existing one (which requires logging in and likely no bargains).

Oh goody.
The login failed. I tried on the phone app. It failed. Laptop. Fail. Phone. Fail. A few times. There were account locked out messages and instructions to call customer service. I finally called. The rep mentioned I was her second consecutive call with this situation, and her third today. She reset the account. The login failed again. And several more times.

We were on the phone together for at least 45 minutes, which began with troubleshooting and diagnostics. Then we chatted about the crappy service at my house (barely one bar), and the rep’s recommendation for a new phone (iPhone).

The login problem isn’t even solved yet because a security function locked the account for 24 hours. By the end of our call we were practically besties and I wish I could remember her name so we could catch up again sometime. Saturday morning may involve a trip to the Verizon store for in-person shopping. Ugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment