Wednesday, April 27, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 779 (Wednesday) – room divider

About four years ago, a nearby house had a yard sale that ran every weekend for a few months. The offspring were emptying the very full family home in advance of its sale. There was a folding room divider screen there that I kind of liked, but didn’t grab. Some number of weekends later, I visited the latest edition of the yard sale, saw it again, and sped to the bank for cash from the ATM to buy it. As I returned to the yard sale, a small red car drove away from the house with the folded room divider protruding from the trunk. Foiled by my own procrastination.


Ever since that yard sale failure, a folding room divider has become one of those things I look for in every store, whether brick and mortar or online. They have been scarce in the thrift and consignment shops when I’ve visited, but some of the online retailers have had them. I don't even know if one will even fit in my house, but I can't stop looking.

Recently, I checked Wayfair, and instead of choosing the filter “Sort by Price per Item: Low to High” I accidentally hit “High to Low.” It was an eye opener.

The first item on the page was described as three panels of solid wood with panels inlaid with pearl shell square pieces, measuring 71 inches wide, 84 inches tall and 1 inch thick, and weighing 200 pounds. It was nice enough. Certainly hefty. It’s handmade, finished on both sides, and suggested for "use in a shared room, dormitory, studio and much more!"

It was tagged at $20,999.99. Not a typo. $21k for a room divider. Not a room renovation, not an addition to a room, but a folding divider to set in a room. At least the shipping is free. And there is a payment plan available.  

Only $20,999.99!!

The other folding room dividers on page 1 of 83 pages of room dividers cost from $17,999.99 to the relative bargain price of $3,599.99. The $21k room divider had two competitors on the same page with the exact same photo and dimensions priced at $15,699.99 and $13,099.99. 

The haunting...
There are a few questions arising from this item. For example, what college student has $21k for a room divider? Or who at all, really? And what on earth could justify that cost for a room divider? Crazy. Seriously crazy. 

And now that I've searched on "room divider" I will be haunted by images of room dividers for the next, as Mom used to say, "skatey-eight million years."

No comments:

Post a Comment