Tuesday, April 12, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 764 (Tuesday) – scrabble chat

Too much stuff.
It was an exciting moment when it was discovered that Scrabble GO worked on the new phone. Scrabble is my favorite game on the planet, and I never quite recovered from my sadness when it disappeared from Facebook. Now I can play before work and in the evening. 

Unfortunately, the Scrabble GO app by Scopely is a big, big disappointment. There are flashing and throbbing blocks of color. There are ads for Publishers Clearing House, Tik Tok, and other games that take multiple clicks to make go away. There are ridiculous adventures and awards and levels and charms and tools in the game.

What happened to making the words, logging the points, and tracking the statistics? The flashing and moving crap on the screen is enough to trigger a migraine, seizure, or spontaneous case of rage. But maybe it’s just me.

Perhaps the worst is the chat feature. Apparently, a lot of people are in the Scrabble game to chat, and during my limited time in the game a few too many have wanted to chat with me. I, however, am not there to be all chatty. Unless I already know you offline, I just want to move tiles and make words.

In a space of two days, there were several instances of players wanting to chat me up. There will be a flurry of messages in a short span of time and then “Why aren’t you answering me?” Holy hell. For one, I usually play a turn or two and then head off to work. In one case, I said I wasn’t in the game to chat. After that exchange, the person resigned from our game. Quitter. Geez. 

Since changing the game profile photo that auto-populated from an old Facebook profile photo not used in a couple years to a picture of Winston, thank goodness, the chat attempts have stopped. 

Maybe the other players think I’m a game bot like Sinbad or Djinn who are always available to play with no delays in the action and no insipid chit chat. In any event, the peace and quiet is delightful. Now, if only the flashing crap could Scrabble GO away.

No comments:

Post a Comment