Monday, April 18, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 770 (Monday) – long ago first day

2016 featured a new job and new shoes.
On Monday, April 18, 2016, I started working at the Bank. That first day of the new career got off on the right footing with new shoes, a bronze-toned low-heel pump. 

There was a new Ann Taylor suit in navy blue, bought for the occasion when my cousin and I went shopping for that purpose. She knew exactly where we needed to go for my perfect new job new outfit and shoes. The suit was worn that day with a blue and white striped cotton shirt bought when I worked at Kohl's, and belted with a yellow silk tie bought from a thrift shop in Tennessee. Even when I’m all corporate, there is usually a bit of quirk thrown in. 

Six years later, I still have the suit, shirt, tie, and shoes. The jacket fits better but the pants are now too snug. I hoped to spread my wings, but really it was my hips and thighs that embraced the concept. The shirt spends a lot of time hanging in the closet because the fabric is stiff and just doesn’t move well. It comes untucked and looks rumpled. My hair isn't fiery red any more.

That long ago first day.
The shoes still fit. Sort of. They are a bit loose because for many years I was buying my shoes a half size too large, which wasn’t known until my feet were recently measured for hiking boots. Self service shoe stores might be convenient but the old-timey customer service with measuring and fitting makes a big difference.  

That first day featured lunch with the other new team member who also started that day and our new bosses. At lunch in a nearby restaurant, we were asked if we had vacation plans, which felt like the weirdest conversation to have fours hours into a new job. Vacation wasn't really on the radar yet. 

There was a plant gifted by my manager, which got a bit frail looking early on, but then thrived. It looked great all the way up until the pandemic. Now, it's lanky and leggy with few leaves, looks like a mess, and I don't know what to do to help it improve. 

The plant situation seems to be a reflection of a lot of elements of life lately. Hopefully, things will get sorted out and start thriving again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment