Monday, March 21, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 742 (Monday) – Gilmore Spam


In between newer shows on the streaming platforms, my default show for background noise/show I don’t need to pay close attention to is Gilmore Girls, described on Wikipedia as “A dramedy centering around the relationship between a thirtysomething single mother and her teen daughter living in Stars Hollow, Connecticut.” 

I never watched the show when it originally aired on CW from 2000 to 2007, and I was only vaguely aware it existed. I was married at the time, and TV watching was dictated by X2, who insisted we watch what he wanted. 

Because Gilmore Girls didn’t include hunting, fishing, NASCAR, or Jennifer Love Hewitt and her cleavage whispering to ghosts, it would never have made the cut at our house. It was easier for me to agree and protest silently with much eye rolling than to fight over something as inconsequential as what was on TV.

I finally watched Gilmore Girls on Netflix in the past few years. It was binged. It was enjoyed. It was forgotten. In another recent “What should I watch?” drought, there was a return to Stars Hollow, and it's up to Season Two again. Enough time has passed that I don’t remember all the story lines, so it's fresh all over again.

Like with any show, sometimes I notice weird details. Tonight, the phone was not in my hand, and my eyes were on the TV screen during a scene in the kitchen and pantry at the inn. Sookie and Lorelai were having a conversation, and I noticed the rack of supplies which included two neat stacks of Spam. Spam! Sookie is supposed to be some great chef, and her kitchen is stocked with Spam and now I need to know her menu items featuring Spam.

Gilmore Girls - with Spam tower.
The show was paused several times in an attempt to get a photo of the Tower of Spam, and let me tell you, it’s impossible to pause a show in the exact spot you want it paused. After suffering through the same dialogue and trying to pause the show at the exact moment, the best view of the Spam that could be captured was an obstructed view. 

Google was consulted for the “Spam recipes of Sookie St. James” which yielded several Gilmore Girls cookbooks and an article with a list of “the 8 Best Dishes That Sookie St. James Made on Gilmore Girls,” none of which reference Spam. 

Perhaps, some things are not meant to be known.

No comments:

Post a Comment