Wednesday, March 2, 2022

“Remoted – Hybrid” – Day 723 (Wednesday) – moving lessons

The house in Tennessee was sold on February 28, 2013, and immediately after the closing, Mom, StepDad, and I rolled out of the Volunteer State and headed for The Bay State in a mini caravan of two vehicles. They had arrived several days earlier to help me pack and move, and thank goodness for that. My job had finished mid-month and I was losing my mind with stress from the process of downsizing and packing up.

There were several hiccups to the moving ordeal which delivered varying degrees of additional stress. These included storage cubes that didn’t arrive until 5:30 pm on the first day of the rental, just a couple days before the closing. It was nearly dark and the delay caused us to lose an entire day of packing. There was a bout of gout with StepDad trying to reach his Doctor in Massachusetts and get medicine in Tennessee. His usual pharmacy was CVS, which didn’t exist in Clarksville.

Danged bunk bed, 2013.
Furniture was shed in a combination of sales and donations. Collections of vinyl albums, vintage cameras and photography books were divested. Clothing was donated. Even still, there were two storage cubes crammed with household stuff that would be stored after it arrived in Massachusetts.

A Facebook post from March 2, 2013 indicated there were snow flurries in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania. When we arrived  in Massachusetts later that day, I was settled in the room in Mom's house that had been my bedroom in high school and college. As a much younger person, the room held a double bed, dresser, desk, and vanity. By 2013, it had been transformed into a guest room for when my nieces stayed over and held bunk beds. A Facebook post documented the situation. There were many instances of  being nearly concussed by the upper bunk. 

Mom and I thought it would be three to six months and then I’d be set up with a new job and my own place to live. It took three years. It's now been nine years since landing home, and 5.5 since buying my house, and in the way that time mysteriously simultaneously drags and flies, it has felt like both a lifetime and hardly any time at all. It’s certainly been a learning experience, including the useful life skills of packing and unpacking moving cubes and storage units.

No comments:

Post a Comment