Saturday, June 26, 2021

“Remoted” – Day 467 (Saturday)

Ice cream!
Earlier this week, groceries were explored on Amazon Prime Whole Foods. Sometimes it’s just a curious musing to see what is on sale, other times a legitimate search for needed items, and often there is no purchase. Seeing that Ben & Jerry ice cream was on sale for $2.70 was certainly an inspiration to assemble an order for delivery this week because it's usually $4.99. 

Thanks to a lot of empty freezer space, four containers were ordered, confident there would be room. Some minor reorganizing could have made room for even more, but I didn’t want my Whole Foods shopper thinking I have an ice cream problem or that I'm some kind of freak. I congratulated myself on the self-restraint exhibited in ordering, and again on the delayed commencement of consumption after the ice cream arrived on Thursday and none was opened until Saturday. Talk about will power! Or maybe it was the power of not being home.

Treasures!
Today was a hair appointment in Worcester, booked 12 weeks ago, when I was there last. My ideal life would include someone playing with my hair every day, but I settle for one hour every 12 weeks. After the appointment, it was time for one of the regular post-salon stops – Savers Thrift Store. There were none of my coveted 8.5” soup bowls there, but I found an iittala Ultima Thule tea light holder in the original box. 

After Savers, I met Mom in West Boylston, and we went to a couple antique shops where Mom found one of the birthday angel figurines she collects and I found two Arabia Finland small (3.75”) wall plates adorned with line drawings for the delightfully low price of $5. At home, I looked them up online and learned they are part of series of four. Some online sellers have the set of four listed for as much as $150 and individual plates for $25, so my low price carried the taste of victory. Next up is hanging them on the wall, in one of the two or three possible places.

The ride home from West Boylston was great along Rte 140 and then a 30-mile an hour crawl along I-495, where I was surrounded by vehicles with racks laden with bikes for the whole family and bearing license plates from New Jersey, New York, and most abundant, Connecticut. I can’t say I wasn’t jealous of the vacationers.

Canine Overlord gourmet food
ingredients awaiting assembly
At home, the boys jumped with excitement when I came in, and it was time for whatever you call the human meal at 4:00 when one has eaten only a cereal bar all day. It was ravioli with a pesto cream sauce with mushrooms and onion, the terminology for this meal is wide open. Super-duper late brunch? Geriatric early supper? High tea? This was followed by the timely preparation of the new gourmet meal plan for the Canine Overlords – plain chicken, potato, peas and carrots with wheat germ for Moose, and prescription weight and glucose control kibble with a small bit of Moose’s stuff tossed in for Winston so he’ll actually eat it. The Canine Overlord Catering Counter is in full swing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment