Tuesday, June 8, 2021

“Remoted” – Day 449 (Tuesday)

Peonies in the morning.
Surprise was the word of the day. Moose delivered a surprise demand to go outside at 4:30, and it was quite pleasant standing in the yard in my summer pajamas and robe. There were not as many stars visible at that hour as there were at 2:30 on Monday morning, but it was still enjoyable standing there, waiting to guide Winston back inside with verbal cues. His eyesight has dramatically failed in recent weeks. 

Before 6:00, Moose was barking again, and by 6:15 when the clock on my phone was set to ring its musical alarm, I was already dressed in casual spring/summer capris and a cotton shirt that screamed “I’m not seeing anyone today,” had checked the peonies, and prepared a cup of coffee. 

At 6:30, there was an unusual text message from our department head. Our remote access was still out. It had gone wonky Monday afternoon. If we could work from our phones, it was okay (I can’t), and otherwise, we could come in. To the office. In person. I briefly considered taking a spontaneous vacation day, then decided against it. I told myself it would be good to be with colleagues. It would be an adventure. Like many adventures, preparations were needed.

There was the frantic rummaging through drawers and Space Bags in search of a non-winter work top and pants, packed away since the end of summer 2019. There was a rapid wardrobe change into patterned capris and a black top that declared, if not “I am going to work out in the world,” at least “I am leaving the house.” Surprisingly, I was able to get into the pants without struggle or tears. Makeup was applied.

The “work bag”, a heavy leather computer tote bag, untouched since March 2020, was hauled out and inventoried. Two pairs of winter gloves were removed. A notepad, a file folder of stuff, and other papers were loaded in the bag, along with my wallet, a mask, and a sweater for the chilly office A/C. The location of the building access badge and parking garage pass card were verified. Lunch was packed. The dogs were let out and back inside, diapered, and showered with treats. The usual departure speech was delivered, a mix of lies and truths. “Bye puppies, I love you!" (true). "I’ll be back in a little while!" (sort-of lie).

Stuff needed relocating.
The drive downtown was quick with no university activity. The parking garage had open spots on the third level. This was all surprisingly easy. The quarter-mile trek to the building was a nice walk and my access card worked in the elevator. 

Upstairs in the office, my desk looked like a storage unit. Everything from the floor had been moved onto the counter for carpet cleaning. Christmas wreaths covered the remaining counter space. I started relocating items. At 8:41, word was received that remote access was restored, but there was no turning back at that point. I was in the office.

Things got done. My tape dispenser and stapler seem to be missing, or maybe they are involved in their own remote work situation. My tiny cactus plant seemed to be suffering and drowning, but somehow hanging on. Water was poured out of it and it was packed to come home and recuperate. The other plant from my desk, a gift on my first day, was enjoying window light and has grown quite unwieldy and gangly. 

Peonies in the evening.
A message from HR declared that I need to use some vacation time or run the risk of losing some of it at year-end. I have no idea how this happened, but it's time to start scheduling. The day flew by, suddenly it was time to go home, and the ride back was a dream. Another surprise!

The dog’s diapers were soaked with pee, but they were otherwise okay and ready for supper. Thank goodness for absorbent technology. Another peony bloomed during the day. The dogs have napped most of the time since eating, so perhaps the surprising day was exhausting for them, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment