Wednesday, March 10, 2021

“Remoted” Day 359 (Wednesday)

Three years ago on this date, friends and I attended the Fitchburg Art Museum 1920s themed gala. We dressed up in 20s garb. There were beads and fringe, cut velvet, feathers, long necklaces, vests, and hats. There were themed drinks and many of the guests dressed up, so it was really fun.

Living in the wrong era.
After the event at the museum, which was founded in 1925, there was a related event at the Fay Club, completed in 1883. We went there for drinks in the beautiful wood paneled bar. It really felt like living in a different era for the night. As much fun as it was, it was still great to return to the current era and all its conveniences and comforts. 

I’ve always felt like I was born in the wrong era, and this event, like many others, helped to confirm the feeling. It’s mostly about the clothes. The modern styles and the sloppy aesthetic are not appealing to me. I want glamour and elegance, not athleisure wear. I miss the days when people dressed up to go out for dinner.  Maybe it’s because eating out is so common that it isn’t special any more. When I was a kid, I couldn’t wait to be older so I could dress up and go out. By the time I was old enough to have money to go out, attitudes had changed and everybody was wearing jeans and sneakers.

Over the past year, with all the staying at home, at least I haven’t had to deal with the ever-present discomfort of living in the wrong fashion cycle, wrong time and place. It’s been a bit of a blessing. The staying home was easy, but the fear is creeping in that the return to the outside world is going to be tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment