Wednesday, September 25, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,645 – (Wednesday) – afternoon walk

Monument Square.
Under a cloudy sky on a day that was just a few degrees above chilly for me but would be ideal for many people, a walk was taken. Between the office and my destination were some obstacles and attractions. There were trolley tracks and a couple busy streets to cross, where one driver cheerfully waved at me standing in the crosswalk as he whizzed by, not even slowing down, never mind stopping to let me cross.

There was Monument Square with the Winged Victory statue and beyond that the Ladd-Whitney Monument commemorating mill workers from the city who were killed during the Civil War. The grass was freshly cut and the air was fragrant.

Beyond the small square lay City Hall and its plaza, and finally, the target destination, Pollard Memorial Library. An email landed a couple days ago that informed me of the need to renew my library card, and today was a perfect opportunity to take care of business. It took about two minutes to renew. Because I had time, I checked out the book carts with donated books left from the annual book sale. The prices are from 50-cents to about $2.00 depending upon the size of the book and whether it is paperback or hard cover. I found a few books of enough interest to gamble with a $2.00 cash outlay.

On the way out, I took the staircase downstairs to the side door where the librarian who renewed my card said there was a cart of free books and I couldn’t resist. That’s where I found several books by and about Jack Kerouac, and a hardcover book titled “How to Not Die Alone.” Most of the free books on the cart came from the library collection and were stamped with “Pollard Library” on the edge, the Dewey Decimal number label on the spine, and in some cases, the pocket for the due date card still glued inside.

Books. 
I walked back to the office, arms loaded with eight books. It was reminiscent of walking to Fitchburg High and Fitchburg State in a similar manner. There was full knowledge that I really don’t need more books. In my defense, the smallest paperbacks were bought for vacation because they won’t take up much room, and reading on a plane helps me fulfill my role as a quiet passenger who makes no demands on the crew or other passengers. I can’t really explain the rest of the books. 

Some people are addicted to cigarettes, I seem to be addicted to hoarding books. It could be worse, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment