Friday, May 31, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,534 – (Friday) – home study

Another day, another failure to plan something to do. The week of doing mostly nothing is a success and I seem to have found my special talent. It was not boring, so from a scientific/self-knowledge position, it is confirmed that one week is not long enough for me to become bored. Maybe the next step in the informal study is a two-week vacation with no plans to test the boundaries of boredom.

Some of my favorite memories involve being a kid on summer break from school. All those long and glorious days with no obligations, making it up as I went along. If  I was ever bored, I don't remember it. When I ventured out, it was usually to the air-conditioned comfort of the public library.

Ta Pethia played under the tent.
Today’s homebound inertia, which was not at all boring, was broken long enough to attend Grecian Festival 2024 at Transfiguration Greek Orthodox Church. The parking volunteers did a great job guiding me to a terrific parking spot across from the church. 

Under a huge tent in a huge parking lot, the band Ta Pethia played Greek music. Two major food areas were set up under the tent. One area served “fast food” of souvlaki and gyro wraps and pastries, the other served the various bigger dinners. 

The plentiful dining options presented the dilemma of deciding what to order. I wasn’t craving anything specific, which would have been helpful. I wasn't even hungry and was there alone, which made everything feel awkward. Being literally alone in a crowd is not my favorite state. 

Grilling.
I heard a couple songs before the band took a break, then stood around feeling self-conscious during the break. I stood on the sidewalk near where some kids were playing in grass and one little girl demanded her mother take photos of her doing very slow cartwheels in an effort to capture in pixels the perfect split position. 

Not too far away, the cooks were grilling meats. Other volunteers prepared food in the church hall kitchen. When the band returned to the stage, I returned to the tent near the back of the tables and tried to not block the travel path.

After an hour of being at the festival, unable to decide what to eat, I headed to the car and home. There was some joking with the attendant who had guided me to the perfect spot and there was a pang of regret about leaving it. 

At home, the ice cream in the freezer required no decision-making skills, no feeling awkward, and no need to crash a table of strangers to sit and eat. Being out is swell, but there really is no place like home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment