Tuesday, April 23, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,498 – (Tuesday) – signs aplenty

Spring seems to have officially arrived. The signs are now everywhere. The music truck, from which people sometimes buy ice cream treats, drove down my street spewing its tinkly tunes. Instead of last year’s parking strategy of parking diagonally across the street, the driver backed the truck partway into my driveway. The neighbors from the nuisance house across the street, always regular patrons of the ice cream truck, filed from their dwelling and crowded the window for treats. I was tempted to step outside and demand a treat as a parking fee, but I am mostly a coward and think about a lot more things than I act upon.

First dainty blossoms this year.
It was another night of blowing off the gym, but like Monday night, I carried myself out to the yard for a bit of light yardwork. The prize for the first dainty Bleeding Heart charms goes to the plant in the backyard flower bed along the side property line. 

The orange day lilies and irises have spread. A few clumps of irises and lilies were moved from one flowerbed to another. 

The irises next to the shed ramp have grown thick and crept closer to the ramp over the years. Last year, the iris stems were often slammed by the shed door when opened. The trowel nearly broke tonight while attempting to dig out some of them and I may need to pull out the big pointy digging shovel. Things are growing so quickly I will need to act soon.

Lump-faced woodchuck.
The plants aren’t the only thing suddenly growing quickly. This morning, I woke up to my week-and-a-half old bangs being suddenly too long. I feel like a sheepdog, and all day long, they were tickling my forehead. The tickling sensation causes me to try and shake them off, putting me at risk of whiplash. I’m probably going to need to learn how to trim them myself. Or get ready for a big fluffy neck brace.

A thinner version of Chuck/Chuckina wandered the yard today. This version of the yard critter is much narrower in the hindquarters and even through the window screen, I could see it seems to have a large lump on one cheek. Oh, dear. I hope the lump is temporary, the woodchuck is okay, and the other woodchucks aren't being mean little buttwipes about it. 

Shiny silver moon.
After dark, the moon hung in the sky, bloated and shiny like a silver medallion. It shone through the tree in the yard of the house behind mine. 

It won’t be long before the branches fill with leaves that will block the sight of the morning sun and the evening moon, so I paused to enjoy the sight of it while I could. 



No comments:

Post a Comment